Expensive in ear headphones!! Are they worth it?

Currently reading:
Expensive in ear headphones!! Are they worth it?

Excellent. Looking for some on ear/over ear headphones in the £80->£150 (ish) range for my birthday. Looking at Grados and Audio-technicas atm. Last overear sennys i had were bloody disappointing, but their in ear sport phones I've had have been great.

ive thought about grados but i always find the ones i like have really pads in many reviews and that would do my head in :( saying that i cannot afford any grados atm hahaha just bought a nordost wyrewizard cable :eek: to go to the slee :) all the rest is QED evo :) i would like to get the PSU 1 for my slee at some point though :eek: just need some monies but erm other things like a new desktop and other things are sort of making it someway down the list

personally i dont think theres a point when using an iPod, even at the best setting, they can still sound ****, (and different ipods can have different characteristics sound wise, not just the EQ settings)... but wire fractures from wrapping them up, the devices being cack anyway i wouldnt bother. The apple ones i have need binning. the last good ones i had were some sony groove ones in the 90s that went into the ear canal.... but that was only for loudness.

well i spend most of my time listening on my computer at work which handles audio better. The plan is to build a Valve DAC and a portable valve headphone amp. I just dont know a great deal atm so need to find out how to hook it all up to the low level out of the iopd rather than the line level jack.
ATM iim assuming that i would be butchering a faulty dock or 12v processor with ipod input.

I also have a better quality old ipod click wheel that i use for the ip bus input on my head unit. Even ripped at 192 i struggle to hear the difference between ipod and CD so that proves you can get immense quality with the right processing power.
Should be able to do it all for under £300 too.

volx did you say valve?
going to have to find some pretty hardy valves to handle vibrations.
then the power usage its like a heating element. and you want it portable that ll take a battery that's just from knowledge in my head other people may know more about modern technology

I mean portable as in i can pack it away and take it to places. It would have to be used on a stable surface, as you say valves are very microphonic. You can put them on rubber mounts to help that a bit.
The DAC itself is rather large. Im planning something similar too what this guy has done
SN202161.jpg

its like any other audio set up. The source is just the beginning. To get a decent sound you need to spend as much again on speakers, amplification and if you are going all out, processing.

This will be my first time delving into the earphone world but i am hoping to create a monitor grade set up. I really want to start producing music but dont have the space for a full range studio set up. I just want to be able to whip out the laptop and do it wherever i am.

Just need to look into software. I want to start on something similar to VDJ but with the ability to view and edit layers so i can start of doing some studio sets rather than jumping straight into remixes.

Here we go again :bang:

After a year with the Ultimate Ears TFi 10's they Decided to fall apart. I now have £200 ish to spend on a different set of IEM's. Im not sure if the Dynamic Sound is for me as the TFi's did lack a little in the Sub bass.

So in the last year has anything good come out in that price range? Or am i gonna just have to buy the best Senheisers that i can afford?

Back