Technical Exhaust Queries 1.8 16v

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust Queries 1.8 16v

Does anyone know what the extra box in the middle of the exhaust system is for on the 1.8 18v engines

My Marea has 8 reciepts for new exhausts systems, 5 of those are because of damage to the middle box
again this middle box has a great big hole and would tink would be better to remove this box

thoughts ???????

thanks
cfreitas

I don't know why there is a middle box on some Fiats.

Our Barchetta had one which was removed when we had a stainless steel exhaust fitted.

If you look underneath most later Fiats (2010 onwards, and certainly 2011/12 models) you will find most have no middle box. Just a "close coupled CAT" and a long straight tube to the main rear box.

I suspect that muffler design has improved over the years and due to production costs it is cheaper to fit one effective muffler than two average mufflers.

Removing the middle box is perfectly doable but you may find that the noise with a standard rear box is a little too high for your liking.

A custom built single box system will be perfectly OK. Just be certain to ask for and get receipted for an equivalent OEM (single box) system. This will cover back for insurance purposes. Any reputable dealer will not issue you such a receipt if you have clearly chosen a performance system. Some insurance companies don't worry about exhaust systems some do. You would be best to check before proceeding.

All three where just silencers originally My 1.8 had 3 boxes. one just after the CAT, one just before the petrol tank, and one near the back bumper.

My new stainless exhaust has two silencers; one silencer just after the cat and one near the back bumper. They omitted the middle silencer its just pipe. I paid around £340 for it and have passed one MOT with it fitted.

Back