Tuning Exhaust manifold

Currently reading:
Tuning Exhaust manifold

Custardman91

Hey folks, just wondering if an 8v punto exhaust manifold would fit a sporting seicento? as the 4 branch are much cheaper.

It's an spi, do any of them fit? Surely the basic fitment should be the same between brands

It's not!

Generally 8v stuff will transfer over, but there's no guarantee.

On a Punto you have much more room, so fabricators tend to go with a relatively gentle bend and a 180 degree angle to the head. On a Cento, this puts the manifold through the radiator and even through the front cross member.

So, while all 8v Punto ones will fit all 1108 Cento heads, they won't necessarily fit the car!

If buying new, buy on the clear (and preferably written) understanding that it's for a Sei and that you can return it if it doesn't.

Remember, also, that Punto ones will generally be longer (taller block).

Seen a few on ebay for about £150-£200, the only seicento one i've seen is about £300 :/ one in particular doesn't say a brand but is from uk-performance-uk

You can buy some off ebay, but as fingers said - the angle down isn't usually as tight to fit in a cinq/sei engine bay.

I've done it and found it sits against radiator and doesn't line up correctly with exhaust.

I'd go custom made and have the peace of mind of it fitting perfect.

I'll have to wait until a second hand one is for sale, luckily it's mine and my mates car so we'll halve the costs anyway :)

Once i've done the engine in my other car i'm thinking cam, bigger tb, exhaust, induction. Worth bothering with?

I used to have (well, still have, awaiting an MR2 turbo transplant!) a Cinq with a 1242 engine and a GSR. One day it cooked the HG (I think -- at the time I did no diagnosis -- just too damn busy) so I put the ported head off another car with a P75 cam on. It went faster. Then I popped a 40mm tricker TB on and got pulled for speeding twice in a week. It was one rapid little car for about a week when it got punted into a lamp post by some twerp in a Clio. Never got round to trying a manifold on it.

But, yes, worthwhile. The Punto lump just gives you a step up -- not a lot more power from the base engine, but the extra torque makes it much easier to drive.

I've done the 1.2 conversion and it's almost running perfect with all the usual mods like cam, manifold, GSR and 40mm TB, uno inlet etc. It won't be putting other cars to shame but they are a hoot to drive as 1.1 so a 1.2 would be great.

There is a 1.2 8v engine brand new engine for £500 on ebay I believe ;)

After a ponder we may just make it noisy and do chassis mods ready for a 1.4 16v in a couple of years. Only drove it to and from the mot station and couldn't believe how much fun they are to drive :)

My 8v conversion has gone past £2.5k now, and is expected to go beyond £3k with the RR session. :cry:

Ah yes, but that's an 8v conversion done to the level that a 16v conversion needs to be taken to, and then some!

On the 8v SPI conversions, usually it's just a case of throw a Mk1 Punto engine in it, make the downpipe longer and that's it. Brake/wheel/tyre/suspension upgrade highly recommended.

Back