Tuning Exhaust Manifold - Thermo-Tec Wrap

Currently reading:
Tuning Exhaust Manifold - Thermo-Tec Wrap

G star09

Hi Everyone

I am currently in the process of purchasing an exhaust system and have been reading up on manifold wrap.

Thermo-Tec seems to be the best around and it quotes that it can reduce engine heat by around 70%. I am looking into doing this and spraying with the silicone protection spray.

Has anyone had this done? If so noticed any improvements in engine performance and Temp?

I think i am going to go ahead and get this done as it seems like a nice mod for the engine. All advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Grant

I too have had this recommened but i have only ever sprayed with manifold with heat resistant chrome paint and never had any issue's but would be looking into for heat reduction :)

Its done alot for racing cars IIRC, just to keep the engine bay much cooler than it would be normally. I can't see any reason why that would hurt performance, so i would say give it a go :)

Same here as the manifold will get much hotter with the wrap on it than without.

But if he is buying an uprated exhaust manifold then i would of thought it would be better at standing up to higher temperatures, guess it depends on the manifold.

But if he is buying an uprated exhaust manifold then i would of thought it would be better at standing up to higher temperatures, guess it depends on the manifold.

Depends on the manifold.

OP which manifold?

Waste of time IMO.

Are these just rhumors that it can crack? as i have seen good reviews on this being done on other cars. Just thought i would check if anyone here had it on a punto.

what manifold is it? I had a supersprint manifold wrapped on my car and it corroded it, despite being stainless steel. My new manifold is ceramic coated, this was done to insulate but more so protect the metal of the manifold. It cost £80 at camcoat to have it done.

If you are talking of wrapping a cast stock manifold then don't bother, it'll rot even quicker.

It's stainless steel. Once it has been wrapped and secured tightley using stainless steel cable ties you are ment to buy a Silicone Coating and spray the whole area that has been wrapped with this coating. This usually comes in a black or aluminium colour. This seals the wrap and stops moisture and dirt getting through to the manifold therfore preventing it from corroding and rusting faster than usual.

On your manifold that rusted did you do the above or just use the warap on it's own?

I have wrap, but its doesnt look very good.

A friend of mine has used ceramic coating by Zircotec (search zircotec on google) and that seems really effective and looks good. I also know someone who has used their new product ZircoFlex. I'm thinking of switching. Does anyone else have experience of this coating.

It notably makes the bay cooler, but it puts significant heat into the exhaust side of the head loading the cooling system and making the valves life harder. Its catch 22, I had it then I removed it to keep the engine cooler - but the bay was hotter, could have done with some exit NACA ducts.

Back