General Exhaust disaster

Currently reading:
General Exhaust disaster

imthejoker

Joker by nature......
Hello ff , iv got major agg with my exhaust, where the exhaust enters the final back box the 'weld' has gone allowing the back box to freely wiggle n squeek like buggery,im taking it to a mates on tues to see if it can be rewelde together , iv been quoted £266 not including vat!!! -BOGUS-:eek:
any help on this matter is very much appreciated.

Joker

Mate that's exactly how my original exhaust broke. I ended up removing the backbox section from the car to stop the squeaking noises. Then got the crazy replacement price similar to yours. :eek:

Ended up getting a custom stainless steel cat back system made and fitted to my spec for about the same as the price of just the original backbox. Best money I ever spent on the car. (y)

Thanks Venters, Mrs Joker agrees with you , but unfortunately iv not got 266-vat spare at the mo, im gonna bell a few sraappie tomorrow n see if i can get just he back box section and em welded together-damm site cheaper mate.

Joker

Did u get urs welded Venters? if so did how long did it last for pls as my mot's due in 3months and i still wont have 266 spare

Jokers

Iv gotta take the whole exhaust off from the cat n see if he can weld it-might be a no-brainer - kin hope not tho.!

Joker

have a look on ebay there are normally some on there for about £50ish it will last you a year or two and get you out of trouble

or see if anyone is breaking one, i managed to pick one up for a few quid from someone and it was in alright nick.

my old one i blew the backbox apart and it had a gaping hole in it lol, not really designed for the turbo i think :eek:

Thanks for all the replies guys- im checking scrappies,the bay and im gonna take it to be inspectid for the welding on tues so hopeully sumfing will come up.

Joker

Bulldog , hagar,Venters , many thanks for the advice - i took it to a welder who was recommended , we took the exhaust off where he proceeded to weld what i can only say is a work of art , needless to say once back on the car the engine was started and its sounded like a new exhaust-it sits propperly now where as its always seems to have wobbled a bit+sounded a bit throaty , this explains that the original weld has been going for some time!!.
again thanks for your input.

Joker

My back box (Marea Weekend) fell off a couple of months back.

Exhaust sounded little different except for a rasberry above 4,000rpm, so I just binned it and do probably 800 miles a week without it. lol!

ahh mate , its a shame you dont live near me - id have took you to the same welder - bet the car sounds like a tank with a sore throat

Joker

Yes, would have been better, but I'll get round to just sleeving a bit of straight pipe onto it eventually, just for appearances....zorst isn't really noisy at all, so box can't have been doing much.

Nope.

Had that years ago on a mini van though.....used to have to drive faster to stay conscious long enough to get where I was going... lol!

Yes I did fix that one.

Back