General Exhaust cover ..

Currently reading:
General Exhaust cover ..

Well it all started a week or so ago, when I'd start the car it would make like a bang sound, but I thought nothing of it but when reversing onto my drive today I heard like a metal on metal vibrating sound, had a look under the car near the exhaust and saw that one of the brackets seems to have snapped off the a piece of metal that covers the top of the backbox, not sure on the technical term but was wondering how much would a repair be, could I even do something myself ..

I'm not sure if your saying that the hanger has broken off the exhaust or the car? I'm guessing it has broken off the exhaust because of rust. Its tricky to weld a new hanger on since the metal used to make the backbox is so thin and will be rusty; the proper fix is to replace the exhaust backbox. Halfords do a range of fixings and substitue hangers for your situation which can last years.

I'll try get some pics done later, The problem isn't the exhaust itself there is a piece of sheet metal above the exhaust that looks to be held on by a few smallish bolts, looking at it today in better light seems that one of the bolts has rusted off.

Back