General Exhaust Chrome Trim accessory

Currently reading:
General Exhaust Chrome Trim accessory

equaliser

Scottish Fiat Fan!
Has anyone found a much cheaper alternative to the genuine Fiat exhaust chrome trim accessory as this costs approx £60? I had a look on eBay and there are a few available but without seeing them it would be hard to know if it would be suitable. I know if I did put the Fiat one on the car it would disappear as soon as my back was turned!

Cheers

Scott

Lidl was selling them for £3.99 last week, i decided not to buy one as it looks like it is a 'push on' type which would probably drop off when driving, its best to buy one of the more expensive type as they come with a tighting bolt which would stop the exhaust pipe from falling off especially when going over road humps and bumps on the road.

Guess it all comes down to cost. A new back box with integrated chrome outlet will always look the best AND won't fall off or be stolen. Added benefit is that your engine can usually breathe better with a larger dia pipe giving a slight improvement to performance.

Aesthetically, bolt on cover-ups always tend to look stuck on in my opinion - which is not surprising as that's exactly what they are.

Worst I ever saw was a fake twin tail pipe with exhaust fumes only coming out one pipe.

You get what you pay for I guess.;)

Last edited:
Worst I ever saw was a fake twin tail pipe with exhaust fumes only coming out one pipe.

You get what you pay for I guess.;)

You sure that was a fake, a lot of the prestige manufacturers have a flap on one outlet that close at low revs to cut noise output to help pass the regs, they open up at higher revs to let it breath better. Big petrol BMs have this quite often.

the fake one i saw was actually 2 baked bean tins tacked onto the silencer box, could see the ribs and the original peashooter inside one, and a blank wall in the other, nearly crashed crying with laughter......

You sure that was a fake, a lot of the prestige manufacturers have a flap on one outlet that close at low revs to cut noise output to help pass the regs, they open up at higher revs to let it breath better. Big petrol BMs have this quite often.

Afraid so mate - I knew the owner and how he went about it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might take a chance on a cheapo from 'the bay' and see if it looks ok. The last thing I want to do is look like a born again boy racer! I'll post back my results and maybe a wee photo.

Scott one thing to check prior to your purchase, is that there are 2 chrome tail pipes for the Panda. One for the petrol and one for the Mj.
The MJ Sporting has the chromed tailpipe, and as for theft, our one looks as though its bolted on behind the rear skirt.

As for HP's beans cans, we Fifers have always preferred Tennants Lager cans, cut out both ends and a good scrup with a brillo pad then polish up with brasso and cardboard.......finish like a mirror.
Or as we used to use at the Stock Car Racing at Cowdenbeath, why not just weld on a section of scaffolding tube......LOL.

Tara Ian

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might take a chance on a cheapo from 'the bay' and see if it looks ok. The last thing I want to do is look like a born again boy racer! I'll post back my results and maybe a wee photo.

Better still, why not come to a Scottish Panda Meet? If we ever manage to get one sorted.:rolleyes: ;)

Back