Technical Error code U171A?

Currently reading:
Technical Error code U171A?

Theflyingpostman

Here is another Ducato issue but is not my it is my father's campervan. He said he had a airbag light come on after I check clear error code it won't go away it is U171A on my Multiecuscan it won't loading on Airbag section it keep search for error far too long there is something wrong to communication with ECU. On the Dashboard section it shows the code Airbag Node NAB what is this mean? it said detach at 12.4volts before start the engine do you think the battery is too low? or the airbag metal sensor box a faulty? The van is fine to drive like a normal.

Last edited:
Here is another Ducato issue but is not my it is my father's campervan. He said he had a airbag light come on after I check clear error code it won't go away it is U171A on my Multiecuscan it won't loading on Airbag section it keep search for error far too long there is something wrong to communication with ECU. On the Dashboard section it shows the code Airbag Node NAB what is this mean? it said detach at 12.4volts before start the engine do you think the battery is too low? or the airbag metal sensor box a faulty? The van is fine to drive like a normal.

Lost communication with airbag module. NAB is the airbag (SRS) ECU. It's located in the centre of the cab floor directly below the centre glovebox or drink holder tray under the floor mat.

Common problem on motorhomes that they can become corrupt due to low starting voltage if the battery isn't kept charged.

Give Crashdata a call, they may be able to fix it for a small fee. A new unit costs several hundred pounds and needs coding to the vehicle.

https://www.crashdata.co.uk/fiat-ducato-srs-airbag-module-reset-s/1945.htm

I have been send airbag SRS node to Crash data, they said have reset refresh for £78.20.
It arrived today by postman, I went to the van disconnect the battery for the least 10 minute and install the node box back and plug both connector then put the battery cable back on it. Turn the ignition on without start the engine clear the error code first the U171A it was stored in the last time. Start the engine the airbag light was not there for 10 second and it come on!
I was so frustrating, plug in by Multiecuscan again now I have other two new code which never been on before now total of three code is
U171A
U1726
U1602
The battery is 12.7 volts

Are you sure it is Airbag Node SRS not the Van ECU Crash data must have not repair because extra faults U1726 and U1602.

Please ignore my previous message found snap pin, I knew Crash data didn't repair it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_141506.jpg
    IMG_20200111_141506.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 378
Last edited:
I have opened the node box, solder a wire inside where the damage pin is and cut one of the connect wire that was suppose go with broken pin, solder together now I can reading my Airbag section what the fault is. The new error code is B1004 is 'B' meaning body?, I have check my battery with no cracking is at 12.53 volts when start it go down to 12.36 volts for few seconds then rise up to 14.43 volts on engine runner. Battery knackered?

Attachments

• YUGYG.jpg
    YUGYG.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 113
  • WW.jpg
    WW.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Have you introduced an excessive resistance in the SRS line with the pin repair?

I am not sure what you mean? I have cut a very thin wire 10cm long (12volts max 6amps wiring) and solder on the metal line inside a chip before the broken pin, the wire is out of node and is connect to one of the plug wiring.

When the engine is running I have clear the error code the airbag light never come on my 12 miles of driving. It don't come on when turn the ignition on (without starter the engine) it only come on when first turn the cracking. My guts is tell me it need a new battery but the current battery it looks a new to me.

Just a thought as the fault code comes up when actually starting the engine: check/replace the earth cable between gearbox and body....this is a known fault on older vans and can cause sensor issues.

I am not sure what you mean? I have cut a very thin wire 10cm long (12volts max 6amps wiring) and solder on the metal line inside a chip before the broken pin, the wire is out of node and is connect to one of the plug wiring.

As it wasn't a code that was originally present, it suggests that something has changed since your repair.

This is Fiat's advice for wiring repairs to the SRS system and components:

To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), never attempt to repair the electrically conductive circuits or wiring components related to the SRS for which there is no MOPAR wiring repair kit. It is important to use ONLY the recommended splicing kit and procedure.

Inappropriate repairs can compromise the conductivity and current carrying capacity of those critical electrical circuits, which may cause SRS components not to deploy when required, or to deploy when not required. Only minor cuts or abrasions of wire and terminal insulation where the conductive material has not been damaged, or connector insulators where the integrity of the latching and locking mechanisms have not been compromised may be repaired using appropriate methods.

This recommended procedure involves crimping the wires together with a splice band, soldering the crimped connection and, finally, sealing and protecting the repair. The crimp and solder ensure a strong mechanical bond
that will always pass a pull test while also maintaining the conductivity and current carrying capacity of the circuit. The adhesive sealant and heat shrink tubing ensures the splice repair will perform as well or better than
the original wire and be safe from potential corrosion or short circuits. There is no limit to the number of splice repairs that can be made in one harness using this procedure. However, as has been past practice, multiple adjacent splices should be offset from each other. This wiring splice repair
procedure is approved for harness side repairs only. Repairs and splices to pigtail wires on SRS components such as airbag units, seat belt tensioner units or clocksprings are not approved or recommended.

CAUTION: If additional wire is needed when making a splice repair to any wire, it is important that the same or next larger size wire gauge be used. Refer to the appropriate wiring diagram for the original wire gauge size.

Never use acid core solder for SRS wiring repairs. Use rosin core solder only.

I can't attach the entire SRS system description from eLearn here, as it's too large a file, but looking at the pin-outs for that connector, your missing pin (pin 7) has no connection to anything.

Attachments

• SRS_A.JPG
    SRS_A.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 158
I will look & check the earth cable between gearbox and body if nothing works, I am running out of options! I shall have to made appointment to my Auto Electrical.

thanks for all help.

Back