Technical Error code 030298 on 2012 1.2 69bhp panda

Currently reading:
Technical Error code 030298 on 2012 1.2 69bhp panda

andyhad

Hi, I'm after help, I've a new shape 2012 1.2 panda (69bhp) and it has started to go into limp mode on motorway. When scanned it returns error code 030298 misfire cylinder 2 component or system over temperature (misfire 200). Turn off and on and it runs fine, great round town but once on motorway after 10-20 miles it goes into limp mode. I've changed plugs, leads and coil but issue remains. Does anyone have any idea of what I can check next? It has recently run out of fuel.

Is there a common ecu issue? Earth strap? I'm struggling. Any help much appreciated.

Hi,
Did your timing belt is old or maybe just replaced ?
90% times problems off engine comes from timing belt on the 1.2 engine.
Vvt system is sensible of right tension of the timing belt and it sometimes moove with times or if it's not well assembled.

Last edited:
Check the map sensor is clean. Ive had only two problems with our 1.2 Pandas MAP soaked in oil that has been sent through the breather into the manifold over a period and fouled the sensor. This cleaned up through the top after removing the throttle body. We had the same error message on our 2011 car which shares the same 69HP VVT engine.

I have found cleaning the VVT solenoid helps restore order if running is less than 100%. Its the little cylinder on the cam cover and has a wiring plug that needs removal first its held on with an allen screw, There is a little screen on the end which looks better for a clean with some carb cleaner. The engine seems to run much better when this has been done.

The other thing that knocked ours into limp home is the evapouration solenoid and cannister. These were very expensive when done by Fiat but we had a warranty in place the first time. The cannister is a small plastic cartridge that lives in the rear wheel arch by the fuel filler. solenoid lives under the bonnet near the manifold. i would expect this ot flag an error though. We had one that said air leak inlet manifold, I think it was P0102.

I've got a similar problem with my Panda at the minute, on the way to a mates the other afternoon the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with beeping, ESC, hill hold unavailable etc, no throttle & stuck at about 1700 rpm, straight away I suspected a bad earth, after having a look around the engine bay I looked underneath & saw the suspect gearbox to chassis/body earth strap in question which was very manky & corroded all along as it's very exposed & no outer cover either, after some research it turns out Fiat changed them from copper to alloy in 2016/17 probably to save a few pence😂 so went to 3 different places in Crawley to try & find one, eventually got a copper one at Euro Car Parts, one of the places I went that sells car parts for classic & modern cars tools & accessories etc the bloke behind the counter didn't even know what an earth strap was🙄 I'll fit it at the weekend so hopefully it will cure it & Luigi will be fighting fit again, fingers crossed 🤞

I've got a similar problem with my Panda at the minute, on the way to a mates the other afternoon the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with beeping, ESC, hill hold unavailable etc, no throttle & stuck at about 1700 rpm, straight away I suspected a bad earth, after having a look around the engine bay I looked underneath & saw the suspect gearbox to chassis/body earth strap in question which was very manky & corroded all along as it's very exposed & no outer cover either, after some research it turns out Fiat changed them from copper to alloy in 2016/17 probably to save a few pence😂 so went to 3 different places in Crawley to try & find one, eventually got a copper one at Euro Car Parts, one of the places I went that sells car parts for classic & modern cars tools & accessories etc the bloke behind the counter didn't even know what an earth strap was🙄 I'll fit it at the weekend so hopefully it will cure it & Luigi will be fighting fit again, fingers crossed 🤞
Sounds much more like failed battery to me…

That ‘big’ earth strap is to cope with the big current of the starter motor. The direct battery to body cables are those that cover practically every other item in the car.

Back