Technical Er... front seats anyone?

Currently reading:
Technical Er... front seats anyone?

It's come to inspection time (re. welding on the 1000s) - and thinking I might be able to tackle it, started to take the front driver's seat out...
:eek:
I'm sure it's very easy when you know how... I must be missing something.
I can see a lug at the front in the runner on the inner sill but the other inside runner hasn't got one but still comes to a solid stop...
:confused:
May be a blonde moment, but I can't see any other bolts..?

Looked closer at it and the 2 lugs in the runners to the rear need tapping flat. If the seat's been taken out before there's no way to prise them up again by the looks of it. So if your seat comes out without it's probably been out before. The rear centre ash tray needs to come out too, then as you say it slides out backwards.
Cheers and thanks again
(y)

Cheers Craig,
Just checked other Panda and the lugs are up on that one.
Once the lugs are tapped back it slides out no probs.
Maybe the seat on yours had been out before...
They probably don't need to be bent up again as its more of an adjustment feature to prevent you from pushing the seat back too far (if driver has long legs maybe?)
Course getting seat out is least of my worries now... next job is to get carpet back and see what's what with the rot - the inner sill don't look too sweet
doh :eek:

I suppose if you did want to prevent it from going too far back you could drill a small hole in each lug and screw in a self tapper to help lever 'em back, but it's probably not really necessary. They may have had to fit them to meet regulations?
You any good at welding btw?

In my hazy youth I did a Motor Vehicle Technicians course... sadly welding wasn't a part - I did do some gas welding when not at tech, but the tackle is beyond me now...
I had to buy a MIG welder when I bought the car (from down your way at Ringwood - 'twas on eBay - I'd been at the wine...) anyway welder was on eBay for £140 ish so I was committed! But made a good job of the rear inner sill area, which required outer sill removal to get at... but was good and I got it through MOT... but now there's other bits need doing. On a small car most of it is with 12" of load bearing points!
So I'm scratching head (bald) and doing some soul searching... got to be worth saving though surely. She starts 1st turn and is very sweet I'd hate to scrap her but I just can't find anyone willing to tackle a bit of serious welding here... so it's where on earth is that welder under all that crap in the garage!
all good fun...
cheers
(y)

Yeah, when it failed 1st time - the garage that tested it said they didn't have the space. Another welder I know (a good gas welder) said he was too busy - this is when I bought the welder and did it myself.
The CLX needed some work last year so I took it to another local garage to have the exhaust done - they had a look when it was on the ramp and told me that the car wasn't worth it - in the end I got it welded for MOT in Derby (a friend of a friend) for £200 + new front tyres and a few minor jobs which I thought was v good value
I was hoping to bottom it (1000s) rather than just patch it up... but with time and the weather against me... I need to get one of 'em tested soon though!
Been promising the missus to do the old one up to justify the space on the drive...
:eek:
there is the option to get another one of course - but (like all us Panda nuts) I'm running out of driveway :D

This be the offending lug that needs punching back to allow the seat to go far enough back for removal:-

Attachments

• pics08 001b.JPG
    pics08 001b.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 18
Car's gone now - got seats out easily once I'd flattened the lug as illustrated.
With that lug down the seat slides out backwards easily.
If the lugs are still up on yours then there must be another way of doing it.
If lugs are level with rest of runner then your seat has most likely been out before I would think.
On my other Panda - the CLX - the lugs are still up.
I'm hoping to meet with the guy who's actually doing the welding tomorrow. Mainly inner sills, but may need some plating on the back floor pan esp. round the rear seatbelt mounts... need to go down and strip the plastic trim out in the morning.
I was quite surprised that the brakes worked at all as she's been stood best part of 2 yrs! :slayer: she drove down like sh*t of a shovel (then it is all downhill...)
cheers
mick
fingers crossed for tomorrow - he's gonna give me a price!
:worship: for welders!

Back