International EPIC ROADTRIP TO ITALY!! summer 2014

Currently reading:
International EPIC ROADTRIP TO ITALY!! summer 2014

Oooft, March / April... hopefully before that, I reckon (doesn't matter to me personally) people won't be able to commit with only 3 months notice, or it'll be too expensive for them.

Agree RE: Dunkirk ferry, not only can it be cheaper but it'll cut out the clusterf**k that is Calais, and most of the E40(A16).... you can get pretty much straight onto the E42(A25) and away you go.

Also, grabbed some info from PistonHeads about ADAC breakdown/recovery service:

I was looking around for European breakdown cover and ADAC (effectively the German AA) got mentioned a few times but I found it a bit difficult to find info on how to join etc. So, here's a bit of info on how it was done in the hope that it's useful for people doing searches in the future.

The English page of the ADAC website is:

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx?quer=mitgliedschaft_leistungen%2fmitgliedschaftstarife%2fmembership%2fdefault.asp

The membership appropriate for UK drivers is the SinglePlus membership, which gives UK and European breakdown cover and is on the driver, irrespective of the car you're in - a great plus point for older cars. Cost is EUR 79.50 for a year."

There are also cheaper options for Students (and Disabled), though presumably you'd need an ISIC/YSIC/proof of some sort. I'm too old anyway :(

Piston heads guy talks about sorting it all out by email, but they seems to have an 0800 number now to call for those with non-german addresses... so I'd probably be tempted to use that, rather than try and sort it out via email.

"On the website above there's a (German - +49) phone number to call but I was told by the operator to send an email to request membership so that there is no confusion about taking down UK address details. So, send an email to [email protected].

In the email, mention that you want to take out Plus membership, the date to start, your name and address.

You should get an email back in about a week advising your membership number and requesting payment - you'll need to fax back your card details for that (payment won't be accepted over the phone or by email). If you need your membership sooner like I did, send another email to the address above asking for ADAC to confirm your membership number.

Membership documents will also come in the post.

Happy driving!"

I live the sound of the road trip but not sure if I would be able to do it and will depend on when..... But is do speak fluent French, German and possible Italian which might be useful...

Rightyho,

I'm putting together a bit more planning on hotels this week etc.

Nothing confirmed as we are still waiting for the date.

The list below of people who I believe to have been interested at one point or another, could you just post whether you're of the following and whether you have any +1's: No, YES!, maybe...

dombooth - YES! +1
puntoboii
Wisey
SamGP94
McAteer
TallTom
TangoMachine91
Sporting Tony
mafia27
cjdl
ysidfa
dannyfiatman
ben
Reuuk
Most Easterly Pandas
twinairturbo
lou5590 - maybe
The Black Box
RobW

Also, with regards to hotels, do we want breakfast in the hotel? EDIT: Breakfast in the hotel looks to work out ~£10pp per day.

Dom

Last edited:
i'm unlikely now as planning another euro trip in September, keep me posted though (y)

my route will start in Spain (cruise ship from Portsmouth), Andorra, France (Nice and Monaco), Italy (Turin, Lake Garda and Venice) then over the Alps to Switzerland (Davos), Germany, Belgium (for SpaItalia) then home via France on Eurotunnel

Last edited:
As those who i'm in regular contact with will know, i now have my own place with my missus which changes my financial situation drastically. So i won't be doing this now :(

Back