Technical "Engine" warning light

Currently reading:
Technical "Engine" warning light

polgee7

This light came on temporarily whilst driving today. It flashed continuously 6 - 10 times then it went off for rest of journey. Can I assume it is a false positive?

This light came on temporarily whilst driving today. It flashed continuously 6 - 10 times then it went off for rest of journey. Can I assume it is a false positive?
nope

Read the code is the way to go,

Intermittent faults are better nipped before they turn into a full failure, normally at the most inconvenient time and or place.

but to be able to help we need the error code, engine and year

If this is a petrol engine, it might be indicating a misfire, problem with either ignition or injection, so the codes need to be read to determine the fault and diagnose the cause.
Same applies for diesel, unless it is a diesel with a diesel particulate filter (DPF), which has to regenerate frequently. When the DPF regenerates, there is often a warning light that flashes to indicate this operation. Is that what you saw?

If this is a petrol engine, it might be indicating a misfire, problem with either ignition or injection, so the codes need to be read to determine the fault and diagnose the cause.
Same applies for diesel, unless it is a diesel with a diesel particulate filter (DPF), which has to regenerate frequently. When the DPF regenerates, there is often a warning light that flashes to indicate this operation. Is that what you saw?
DPF shouldn't throw a flashing engine check light, according to diesel supplement for post 2009, although it wouldn't surprise me if some cars work differently.

misfire is likely, and can lead to more damage if left unrepaired.
Screenshot (137).png

DPF shouldn't throw a flashing engine check light, according to diesel supplement for post 2009, although it wouldn't surprise me if some cars work differently.
Many cars will flash the DPF light during regeneration, hence my generalised reply. Just because the anyone reports an engine management light, does not mean that is what it is, as many people do not know what the various warnings are.

Thanks to everyone who replied. The car's year is 2012 and has a petrol engine.
If there was a fault should the light stay on? It has not yet. The engine is running perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who replied. The car's year is 2012 and has a petrol engine.
If there was a fault should the light stay on? It has not yet. The engine is running perfectly.
different faults do different things

take a faulty temperature reading, The car will throw the engine light on and stay on. Even if the fault clears and Put the fans on full

it will clear itself when the engine has been switched off and back on

where as the engine check light due to faulty throttle body position sensor wiring will remain lit even after the fault has been cleared and need reseating via software

others will clear when the fault isn't present

the code get stored, so it can be read latter, depending what it is it might get automatically deleted after a certain amount a start without issue. Which is why its a Good idea to read them straight away

flashing normally means an intermittent fault.

Only the code will provide an answer!
The rest is only guessing.
I have had Lamda sensor errors, mixture errors, faulty igintions. All covered by the yellow engine warning light.

Back