Tuning Engine swap Mk2 sporting

Currently reading:
Tuning Engine swap Mk2 sporting

Hi mates,
I'm thinking of giving a bit of ''power'' to my punto..It's not like i'm doing it tomorrow but i've got some plans.Bilstein suspension , Eibach springs , Brembo brakes etc. My main concern is the engine. I'm not a fan of mods , so I guess I'll choose engine swap.Do you now which engines can fit my car??I kinda not want to put one from another model , cause I read about a guy who put a bravo(I think) 1,8 engine in his punto and then the dashboard didn't work cause the engine ECU didn't cooperate with the car's one or sth like that.So i'm leaning towards an HGT's or an abarth's engine.What are the technicall stats for the abarth??Do i need to change anything else except for the transmission , like the parts of my steering system??Also , is there any other way of getting such an engine other than buying a used one??I guess that whoever owns an HGT/abarth kinda pushes the engine to it's limit and I don't wanna buy a melted one..

It seems you are very specific in what you are wanting. too specific in fact that it shall take you ages to find what you want.
Best plans would probably yeh, buy a HGT then do the modifications to that, suspension and brakes.
I thought the abarth was exactly same as the HGT only jsut the bodykit and steering wheel and interior? No engine differences?

Thanks guys!!Yeah I know it would be better and cheaper to buy an HGT , but I really love my car(Since I've had no problems with it for the last month..) and its my first one,so I'd like to modify this one and not buy another.Besides , I only want the engine of an HGT , as everything else is gonna be different(brakes,clutch.suspension,diff etc)..Do you know if I can put a new engine (like the 500 abarth's) and pair it with a punto's ECU so that my instrument pannel works???Also , what about the steering??Do i need to change anything??
Concerning the time , It's not an issue as either or else I don't have the money to buy a whole new car.So , I'l take one step at a time.First suspension , then brakes , etc and finally engine and OZ 16'' superleggeras!!(y)So , I'll have the time to earn money for the mods.
About the abarth HGT , yes karbin you're right.I didn't know it though..I thought an abarth car should have a different engine from the normal HGt..

if u do an engine swap etc theres more chance of sumthing going wrong
Yeah I know...That's why I want to find a decent one, so that I can minimize my future problems!!!I suppose that if the job gets done by a good mechanic everything will be (kinda) ok though...My only actual fear are the electronic stuff(ECU).

Maybe that's the meaning of being generous....
Or maybe the system broke my nickname in two: one thank for nikos(my name) and one thank for antigoni(my girl)!!!

Is his girl's name antigoni???cause if it's so...That's me!!!:ROFLMAO:
I suppose he is Greek right???
On the contrary , I don't know anybody name karbineftw...:ROFLMAO:
Anyhow mate, if you wanna get your ''thanks'' to 89 , give me a ring , it's just a button away...:ROFLMAO:

For anyone who knows , appart from the do i need to change my steering parts question , I've got another question.Most engines I can find on ebay are from england , so , could I modify an engine of a right hand drive car to fit a left hand one???

For anyone who knows , appart from the do i need to change my steering parts question , I've got another question.Most engines I can find on ebay are from england , so , could I modify an engine of a right hand drive car to fit a left hand one???

The engine should be identical in both right and left hand drive cars. A few of the accessories might bolt in differently to clear the column, but the engine will be the same.

Just to add the HGT and HGT Abarth are identical except for visual differences (Skirts, Spoiler, Bumpers, Steering wheel etc etc).

I'd buy a HGT and spend my money making that better tbh. Unless you can afford a MK2b Sporting which can be tuned quite easily to have similar performance to a HGT except with a lighter front end and better handling :slayer: :D.

Just to add the HGT and HGT Abarth are identical except for visual differences (Skirts, Spoiler, Bumpers, Steering wheel etc etc).

I'd buy a HGT and spend my money making that better tbh. Unless you can afford a MK2b Sporting which can be tuned quite easily to have similar performance to a HGT except with a lighter front end and better handling :slayer: :D.

Somebody's proud aboy his car..:D:D
Well actually I know it would be the best thing to do(buy an HGT) but as I said , I intend to keep mine...But!!!Chris you just gave me a good idea.
What about getting an MK2b sporting engine and changing little stuff(air intake , full exhaust system , some spark plugs , better pistons , ECU , but NO TURBO!I hate em..)???Wouldn't that be quite easier??

Well you should be ok for:-

Cams,
Exhaust,
Good Induction Kit,
Remap

all on standard engine and should see about 130bhp+. Some people say the Con-rods give out at about 130bhp but I've yet to see any proof or any instance where this has happened.

Thanks man , I'll think about it.What are cams and Con-rods??Sorry..my mech english aren't the best!!:(Is your engine modified??If so, did you have any reliabillity issues with it??(cause I'm kind of afraid of messing with the ECU)But I guess that just a change of the other stuff and not the ECU wouldn't make much difference right?

IME get an HGT and tune that. No replacement for displacement.

A lightly breathed on HGT (induction, manifold, backbox) will see 150bhp no problem and will kill a modded sporting (induction, full exhaust system, re-map, cams).

IME get an HGT and tune that. No replacement for displacement.

A lightly breathed on HGT (induction, manifold, backbox) will see 150bhp no problem and will kill a modded sporting (induction, full exhaust system, re-map, cams).

Yeah that's true..and it'll be way more reliable too , as the engine will be less ''pushed''.And the car , the way it's gonna be(suspension brakes etc) will very easily hold the 150 hp.The only problem is that , while I could very easily find an MK2b engine , the only way of getting an HGT one is through the internet(I sincerely have NEVER seen an HGT in Greece).Well , we'll see..

There's a guy n Greece who sometimes goes on www.puntomk2.co.uk

His username is iceman n. He used to be on our HGT forum till it went down and has done a few things to his car (big brakes, piggyback dastek, C&B cams etc.). He also knows several greek HGT owners.

Back