General Engine Prices

Currently reading:
General Engine Prices

I forgot about the cam belt, I've got quite a recent one on my expiring engine from about 3000 miles ago as well as a new tensioner about 500 miles ago, could I use the belt on the new engine or would it be better to get another.
Also, the engine from the Uno is very oily and grimy from a leaking rocker cover gasket. Would it be okay to steam clean it, or are there any other effective ways of clearing all the grime. I'm just worried about the sump gasket, and also the head gasket if I steam clean it or use any chemicals.

wilharper2000 said:
I forgot about the cam belt, I've got quite a recent one on my expiring engine from about 3000 miles ago as well as a new tensioner about 500 miles ago, could I use the belt on the new engine or would it be better to get another.
Also, the engine from the Uno is very oily and grimy from a leaking rocker cover gasket. Would it be okay to steam clean it, or are there any other effective ways of clearing all the grime. I'm just worried about the sump gasket, and also the head gasket if I steam clean it or use any chemicals.

Cambelts are cheap, so I'd replace it regardless. Not worth risking using the used one in my opinion. Refitting the old tensioner should be fine as there's not a lot to go wrong with them.

Steam cleaning is also fine, just make sure any engine orifices are covered and if the distributor is still connected cover and seal it with a plastic bag. If the alternator is still attached remove it first. Will give you a chance to fit a new alternator belt when you refit it.

Sometimes the distributor 'o' ring fails and causes oil leaks, so would be an idea to change that too. It's a simple job.

You can also use engine degreaser/ parafin to clean the engine with good results. Neither should affect the head gasket or any other gaskets.

The sump doesn't use a gasket. It uses RTV sealant on the contact surfaces apparently. I don't know for sure as I've never had to remove the sump from a FIRE engine! If it's not leaking I'd leave it be, but if you're concerned about it, it will be easier to remove and re-seal it with the engine out of the car.

Make absolutely sure that the oil covering the engine is only from the rocker gasket and not anything more serious.

Other than that, good luck and hope you get your Panda back on the road again soon (y)

Back