Technical engine noise

Currently reading:
Technical engine noise

Hey all,
was just wondering if any of you have ever started up your barchetta to a rather disturbing noise from the engine. I started mine the other morning and it sounded like a hammer was being thrown around inside the engine. My mechanic came and looked at it, started it up, let it warm up and then revved it quite hard, turned it all off and came back later that day, started it up again and it was fine. He reckoned it was something to do with the hydraulic tapids. Just wondering should I expect this often or whats the crack?

Cheers

OZ

Try some engine cleaner stuff, a fuel aditive or an oil addative... PM Dave (Moderator) he swares by redex for cureing these problems.

OZ Seicento said:
Hey all,
was just wondering if any of you have ever started up your barchetta to a rather disturbing noise from the engine. I started mine the other morning and it sounded like a hammer was being thrown around inside the engine. My mechanic came and looked at it, started it up, let it warm up and then revved it quite hard, turned it all off and came back later that day, started it up again and it was fine. He reckoned it was something to do with the hydraulic tapids. Just wondering should I expect this often or whats the crack?

Cheers

OZ
its your variable valve motor not functioning properly. makes the engine sound very tractor like. fiat are on a mk4 type motor[ 4th modification ]. as far as iam aware, they were replacing them free of charge. I would contact them.:)

I also think that is the variator problem... I had the same problem, at startup was the sound like a diesel engine... I baught a new one and works just fine!

Hi lads,
yea it does sound like a diesel engine when cold at times but this was a completely different kind of noise, this was a very worrying kind of noise actually like something was loose inside but when warmed up and revved it has not happened since.
Cheers

OZ Seicento said:
Hi lads,
yea it does sound like a diesel engine when cold at times but this was a completely different kind of noise, this was a very worrying kind of noise actually like something was loose inside but when warmed up and revved it has not happened since.
Cheers
yes the variable valve motor is sticking and when warmed up, unsticking! get it checked out. iam sure fiat are repairing them free of charge:)

Back