General Engine mount spring

Currently reading:
General Engine mount spring

I've had the same problems with the engine support spring on my 1972 Fiat 500 L. The mount is new, the bushes spring etc and gearbox mounts all new. The spring compressed so easily that the bump stop on the engine mount hit over the slightest bump. I have just cured the problem by adding a squash ball in the centre of the weak spring. Works perfectly and has transformed the car!

Just revive this thread with my experience/problem...…

So I have fitted a 650cc lump and noted that one of the new gearbox bushes had ripped so I assumed that the engine was moving around a lot to cause this because of the weaker spring.

I purchased one of the shorter stronger springs and have fitted it. now it sounds like the engine and box are hitting something somewhere because when you set off underload the engine/box is definitely bouncing off something!

Old spring going back in this weekend...….

Any update please?

I am still trying to work out if my spring is too hard (caused the vibrations to be transmitted to the body too much on take off from rest) or too soft (allows the engine to move about too much on take off!) and your info would be of great benefit.

cheers

RDS

Morning Gents

I didn't research what the engine/gearbox was hitting I just changed the spring back to the original longer one. After Mrs W's test drive she states the noise had gone so i'm assuming although the spring is stiffer the amount it allows the engine/box to lower has a detrimental effect somewhere.

I will when I have more time take critical point measurements with both springs in situ.

Rob

I have noted that my flywheel cover only had three securing bolts and may have been vibrating a little but that is not the whole story. Exhaust does not seem to be hitting cross member.

A little oil mist around the flywheel though....

Any update Rob?

cheers

RDS

The flywheel-cover plate is only designed with 3 screws---fairly short ones (10mm if I remember correctly). If they are too long, they will in themselves tighten (as they bottom out in their threaded holes) but the plate will still be loose

I see thanks; I am sure I put four in a coupe of weeks ago! and yes length was critical.

Just checked, you're right! Three bolts hold the flywheel guard. Funny thing memory ...

I was having a similar issue with my engine spring as well. I changed it out with a new one, then on big bumps it would scrape on the oil filter pulley!!! Not good! I ended up creating a spacer to lift it up a bit, but it still hit on big enough bumps. apparently my engine moves too much, or the bump stop isn't as big as it should be, even though I replaced that too!

Where about in the UK are you RDS? I am just outside Chester (but, long story! 200 yds INSIDE Wales)

Hello ChiapC

many thanks, any pics of your spacer please?

Hobbler: does Offa's Dyke run through the garage? I am in London (sadly).

TTFN

RDS

Hello ChiapC

many thanks, any pics of your spacer please?

Hobbler: does Offa's Dyke run through the garage? I am in London (sadly).

TTFN

RDS

I don’t have any pics unfortunately. My car/engine is completely disassembled at the moment. I just added a few washers on top of the mounting bolts to push the engine further away from the bracket if that makes sense....

yes thank you I was wondering if rubber spacers would be beneficial here

Back