Technical Engine gobbles

Currently reading:
Technical Engine gobbles

khnuum

Hello, again to all.
I had/have yet another problem with my car, it has a ticking noise, when is getting warm, it sounds like its coming from the belts/pulleys area. In trying to identify the source, I kept accelerating the car with me under the bonnet trying to pinpoint the noise source, and I think I stumbled on another problem …

When I accelerate all sounds alright, but when I get off the gas ... it like ... gobbles. It sounds like a I have a turkey inside there … :)

Is something wrong? Or the gobbling noise is natural?
Help please!

noises are very difficult to describe, and without hearing it then its impossoble to say if the noise is unusual.

the ticking noise is often a tappet or a relay. a dry tappet would be due to poor oil circulation. hot oil is thinner which drops the oil pressure, that could explain why it only happens when warm.

Last edited:
The engine had a full service a couple of months ago. I also did another oil change 2-3 weeks ago. I had Aral in it and I found Selenia and put it in. I though by changing the oil it will stop the ticking noise.
Can the cause be a faulty spark plug or a HT lead? The spark plugs are the original ones. The car only has about 33.000 miles, but I think according to Haynes they should have been changed by now. How can I test to see if this is the problem without actually buying new plugs or leads?

the ticking could be the spark from one lead arcing to the head. easy way to check, remove the HT leads one at a time with the engine running. if you get a shock thats usually a sign the lead is faulty, if the ticking stops that is proof the noise was coming from the lead.

at 33k the leads and plugs should definately have been replaced. how could it have a 'full service' without replacing the plugs and leads? they are both part of a full service.

Back