Technical Engine Fault - Stalling

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Fault - Stalling

Dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday and he said the problem was caused by the ECU needing an update. They did this for me and only charged me for an hours labour 65 + vat so hopefully it has cured the problem.

As a professional chartered engineer who designs electronic saftey critical control systems for the navy I am not sure how fiat can get away selling the car without an update as the car is obviously not fit for purpose. They should have done more testing of the software, to ensure the fault was found.

Well that's Microsoft up the creek then!
Software will always be able to be improved but charging labour for providing essential corrections for their software you only see in the car industry

Elsewhere it's download this, patch that, security this and glitch that but all supplied to the customer free of charge as you've already paid for it to work properly

Rather than redo every car that needs to be done on a recall (sound business sense and golden balls for reputation), it's only done "when required" ie after it's spluttered and died at a busy motorway roundabout and you've lost a days pay where the customer is already into "Don't think I'll ever buy one of those again" but then finds most car manufacturers have the same head up their arse philosophy

Last edited:
Dealership say they can't find a fault this time although the diagnostics pointed them to the pressure sensor again...this time they didn't feel the need to change the part....which left me questioning why I was charged £89 on Friday for a part obviously not a fault.:confused:

Anyway have asked them to keep hold and do some test runs before my hire car goes back as I am not happy to take the car at the moment.

Will give the manager a call now and make sure the ECU update has been done.

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how I go.:)

Adamt99 said:
As a professional chartered engineer who designs electronic saftey critical control systems for the navy I am not sure how fiat can get away selling the car without an update as the car is obviously not fit for purpose. They should have done more testing of the software, to ensure the fault was found.

I can assure you they throughout the fiat range there are a handful of updates...I suggest you look carefully at Fords where there are constant updates(corrections?)throughout the entire range!

Well, driving my wife home from work late last night, the power of the car dropped and would only run at 1000 rpm. Then the engine cut out. Now the car turns over but will not start.

Messages I get are:

ASR Failure
Security Failure
Loose Connection

In that order.

Car has now been towed back to my local dealer to find the fault.

Deckchair5 said:
The "of course" being done AFTER you break down:)

MAP sensor wont leave you stranded (just run like a bag of s*ite) however I think that dealers do overcharge for the update,half hour max £20-30.Remember all the fuss over the focus a few years back when the were cutting out & it was on watchdog etc,cost Ford a fortune in ecu updates just to keep watchdog/customers(customer 'power' demanded a new ecu/ecu update)happy even though the ecu wasn't causing the fault:rolleyes:
Thing is the first point of call in the event of a map sensor related fault should be to check to see if the update has been done before anything else,thus saving customer money on un-needed diagnostic time as 99% of time the fault is cured by update.

mrm1,the codes you described sounds like the 'infamous' D4 connector.

T14086 said:
mrm1,the codes you described sounds like the 'infamous' D4 connector.

T14086, I did check all the connectors including the D4. What the dealer has told me now is the main ECU is faulty and needs replacing.

mrm1 said:
T14086, I did check all the connectors including the D4. What the dealer has told me now is the main ECU is faulty and needs replacing.

Could well be,easily determined by the key code status on examiner parameters-i.e.is code recognised/recieved or not.Suspicious of the 'loose connection' fault though...earths ok(especially on ecu)?

To be honest, I have had the loose connection message many times over the last 18 months. I have checked just about every cable and connection on the car time and time again, and have never found a fault. Normally the message just flashes up for a few seconds then disappears. Never given me trouble before. I have probably had a ticking time bomb, with the ECU about to pack up at any moment. I drive 400 miles to Scotland visiting family 2 to 3 times a year and was up this new year. Just as well it did not pack up on one of those journeys.

Good point, but what if I never actually made it up there in the first place. Anyway, got the car back this morning.

The job card states there was no feed from the ECU. They checked all cableing, as well as earthing. They tried to reset the throttle but there was no access to the memory on the ECU.

Job done now. I hope all is OK.

T the best is lower down the country mate, (at least this year lol). I recently had a customer that had an independent garage charge £40+vat for a diag, and then tell him he needed pressure sensor and fuel level sensor, going to cost him £300. The cars been off the road for 6 weeks, until he gives me a ring, we clean the throttle body, air pressure sensor, manifold, reprogram the ecu and carry out a throttle learn procedure and the car runs sweetly. We now have a very happy customer who has learnt that sometimes dealers do know best and are cheaper than the rest.

Back