General Engine Fault!! any ideas?

Currently reading:
General Engine Fault!! any ideas?

Shminkypinky

Just moved my car out of the garage when I got the dreaded beep and was told "high coolant temperature" "stop" "Engine Fault".

The only confusing thing is that its bloody freezing here so how can it be high?

Restarted car but fault remains

Any ideas?

Yes, at a guess, bad contact on the engine temp sensor going high resistance and signalling warning. Probably be ok when engine is warmed up and less damp. As long as the engine temp gauge works then you can judge for yourself whether it's an actual problem or just a wrong warning.

Low battery voltage seems to trigger warnings too

I occasionally get the same error message, last time two days ago at 5am and it was bl**dy freezzing. I tend to just ignore it-the message goes away after a few seconds and nothing has gone wrong with the car:D

Thanks for all your replys!
These Stilos are like windows. a quick restart and hey presto - fixed.

Took the car for a drive, as I suspected the cold conditions were to blame. Got the car up to temperature. Stopped, ignition off, Started her up and fault gone!!!!! Brilliant well chuffed!!!!!I hate spending money on the car now for things like that!
Anyway i was actually on the way to the Skoda garage (yes, the Skoda garage) as I was that peed off, I was going to see what they would give me for mine against a Fabia VRS! I did go there but decided when I looked at them 10K is a lot for one and my Stilo looked better parked next to it!!

The Stilo lives to fight another day - long live the Stilo (touches wood for no more probs)

Shminkypinky said:
Anyway i was actually on the way to the Skoda garage (yes, the Skoda garage) as I was that peed off, I was going to see what they would give me for mine against a Fabia VRS! I did go there but decided when I looked at them 10K is a lot for one and my Stilo looked better parked next to it!!

Oh dear wolfrace wont be impressed :p

Back