Technical Engine Fault - any ideas?

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Fault - any ideas?

Jumped in car today, started engine and a Engine Fault was reported! Never told me to switch off, garage didn't seem to fussy until Monday.

Any idea's? Car seemed to me to be running fine, obviously i didn't spank it, but then i don't often anyway. Car starts, idles, runs and doesn't sound different?

I'm gonna place my bet on a flakey coil pack! :) So anyone else prepared to have a guess?

Oh and get this, it apparently takes the diagnosis system (garages own term) an hour to work out whats wrong, whats it based on? A 386?

My money's on 'no fault found'.

Mind occasionally flashes up engine fault if I drive through a big puddle and then rev quite hard. Always goes away once the car's been sitting for a bit & dried out.

I have had this problem 3 times. The first two times i noticed the problem, i took the car to the garage (after the light went back out) and i was told the problem was not stored on the comp and there was no apparent fault. The third time i managed to get to the garage before the light went back out and it was found that the boost controller on the turbo was broken. This was fixed under warranty as the car is just coming up 13k miles and only a year old.

I was under the impression that the Stilo ECU can recall previous engine faults [unlike the Ulysse]

I have had all manner of faults flash up on mine [including gearbox failure on the M6 during the FF rally last year.....] - but usually the car resets itself at next switch on. I put it down to over-zealous sensors, maybe tooo precautionary unless regular.

Also, if I turnover over too quick, I find I get an oil pressure warning light.

12 miles a day, Stiloboy? Wow, couldn't you use public transport instead ;)

I was also under the impression that the stilo held the last 3 or 5 faults occured in the system. But Fiat have told me on several occasions that no data has been stored so they dont know what the problems are unless the warning light is still present. This is frustrating because i have an "oil sensor failure" light which keeps appearing for a journey and then dissapears at switch off and does not return for awhile. I was told the sensor was broke and it went to be replaced but i still get that fault.

The Bus! I don't own 3 cars to be relying on Public Transport! Its for old people that reek of wee, or care in the community members! :p

Yeah, only 12 miles, if that! I take my car to the Cooncil Head office, drop my car off, pick up the team van, then spank its sluggish 1.7Di a$$ off the normal 20-odd mile commute. Better their diesel than my petrol even if i do feel tired after driving it.

I had such a fault, the car seemed no different after the warning message started coming on than before. I had it repaired; I was told that a sensor had gone out of adjustment and had been recalibrated.

Before the adjustment I found I stalled the car quite reguarly which was a surprise as I did not stall other cars, after the adjustment I never stalled it again. Don't know why, but then it's a FIAT which my sons say means Fix It Again Tomorrow!!

Chris

StiloBoy said:
Any idea's? Car seemed to me to be running fine, obviously i didn't spank it, but then i don't often anyway. Car starts, idles, runs and doesn't sound different?

I'm gonna place my bet on a flakey coil pack! :) So anyone else prepared to have a guess?
My guess is engine capacity too low :D

Paul

Well what do you know, jumped back into car tonight, engine fault message. I give the throttle a blip and it all sounds fine. Drive off a few hundred yards to local LIDL, buy some rice, return to car, start up and drive off. Drive out of car park and think "hold on", glance down at dash, no error message, no engine light on!

Ah well could have been worse then! Its booked in on Monday anyway, so i'll still take it in.

StiloBoy said:
The Bus! I don't own 3 cars to be relying on Public Transport! Its for old people that reek of wee, or care in the community members! :p

Argh! public transport in Fife? what is he suggesting! its a shoddy joke, need to drive 15 miles just to get to a train station or catch a bus that takes an hour to get there, if your lucky!

Yeah, only 12 miles, if that! I take my car to the Cooncil Head office, drop my car off, pick up the team van, then spank its sluggish 1.7Di a$$ off the normal 20-odd mile commute. Better their diesel than my petrol even if i do feel tired after driving it.

Hmm, would that be a Citreon Van? ;)
if it is i'll know who to mention when it goes pop (work beside the Councils dunfermline transport manager at my work at weekends ;) )

StiloBoy said:
Nah its a new Corsa van. Nice! :| No point in really spanking it, it revs all the way to 5000rpm but it shot its bolt by 3000rpm. :D Would that be Tom your talking about! :)

lol, guess that Corsa doesnt have the JTD in it then, shame, nearly had a fiat diesel to play with ;)
Yup, it is Tom im on about :)

yup, had the engine fault jus came and went along with many other Stilo quirks. never happened again. Might just be some condensation on the plugs.

cmc

Thats it "fixed", and i quote from my courtesy pack.

"Carried out diagnostic check on injection system found pressure sensor fault"
"Carried out reprogramme of injection computer"
"Roadtest (ok)"

Exact quote. As the lady in Chewin the Fat would say...... "Snifff.... Sniff.... yes, i definately smell $h1te!"

They certainly put 10 miles on the clock though and hammered it, 'cos average fuel consumption has dropped a fair bit.

I'm just happy its been checked.

Back