Technical Engine changeout for a newbie....yikes!

Currently reading:
Technical Engine changeout for a newbie....yikes!

Nat514

Hello,

I'm just about to start pulling 499cc out of my 500 and replacing it with a 650cc. My first attempt at such a large task. Any advice is appreciated!

What gearbox are you planning to use? I ask this because the 500 bell-housing will NOT fit a '126' crankcase.
Where about are you? It might be that there is a Forum member close to you who could (metaphorically speaking) 'hold your hand' It is not a difficult job, but the 650 engine will come with an alternator, so there will be some wiring requiring changing, the 650 engine will probably have a Weber 28 IMB carb with a fuel-return outlet so you will have to attend to that. How complete is the 650 engine?

Thanks for the great advice. The 650 engine is complete and I plan on using the 126 transmission. I'm located in Montreal....if you know of someone nearby, I'm always open to hand holding.

If you intend using the 126 transmission then the drive shafts will need to be changed as the 126 shafts are longer

Thanks! This step sounds harder than pulling out the whole engine!!

Fitting new drive-shafts into a '126' gear-box isn't a difficult job, as long as you go about it methodically. You will only need 3 sizes of spanner/sockets---10mm + 13mm + 17mm. Drain the gearbox first, or you will have a load of gear-box oil over the floor/workbench. I have seen an old stool being used as work-stationfor doing the gearbox---invert the stool, and stand the gearbox up on its end within the legs of the stool. If you want to contact me direct, I will sit down and try and write out a sequence of work for you ([email protected]). Don't forget to refill the gearbox when all the work is completed---with the '126' 'box you can use a high grade 20/50 engine oil (I use Castrol). DRY capacity of a '126''box is 1.1 litres---you probably won't get any more than just under a litre in it on a re-fill. It will be much easier if you have a 2nd pair of hands to hold the gearbox when you are torquing up yhe diff and bell-housing bolts/studs. Lastly, get THE BEST POSSIBLE shafts and couplings that you can--variouse suppliers specify "racing" spec or "top quality"---do NOT get the cheap versions, it is a false economy.

Back