Energy saving

Currently reading:
Energy saving

Saw on the news this morning (BBC Breakfast have been on about energy all week) that leaving your phone charger plugged in (ie, not actually charging) can cost upto £25 a year!

I'm a bit of an energy saving nerd and get really irritated when people leave lights on left, right and centre.

So come on people, get your act together and start turning stuff off!

I am going to start saving energy, our latest bill for home estimates that we will use £800 of gas and electricity which seems a lot.

I am pretty bad for leaving lights on and chargers plugged in etc.

Their figure is spot on for if I charge my phone continuously for a year, whether or not transformers use power when power isn't being taken away is something I am too knackered to think about but will have a think/look.

The Negotiator said:
Their figure is spot on for if I charge my phone continuously for a year, whether or not transformers use power when power isn't being taken away is something I am too knackered to think about but will have a think/look.

They do use power when left in even though they are not charging anything, you can tell this because they get warm (physics you see).

Also most chargers have LED's on them which isn't much but I guess it all adds up.

poggy said:
They do use power when left in even though they are not charging anything, you can tell this because they get warm (physics you see).

Also most chargers have LED's on them which isn't much but I guess it all adds up.

Yeah I thought about it, since you still get the alternating field, you still use the power AFAIK despite not taking it away, but then again, where will that power go? I am so tired...

I suggest the only power actually being used is that which heats the iron core of the transformer (and light the LED) This has to be the case since the electrons are contineously realigning them selves... Plus there must be some degree of EM radiation being emitted another source of powerloss.

I used to leave the fridge door open whilst pouring the milk for my breakfast or making a cuppa tea. Now i shut it when the pouring is taking place. Then open it for when i need to put it back.........and leave it open.:)
We use energy saving bulbs in our house. Mine is crap though. its not the bulb, its the fact that my light is by my window. WHy this is i dont know.

That's to increase the intensy of natural light when you use it whilst the room is not fully dark, or so I am told.

Back