General Emergency start-up

Currently reading:
General Emergency start-up

Adam Lawson

Dear All,
Firstly, a huge thanks to all those who contribute to the site it has allowed be to become a DIY mechanic and save me a great deal of money.

However, as you imagine I need your help…:)

After doing front discs and pads, I dropped the car too quickly from the jack and it is now showing the CAT PROTECTION SYETME FAILURE – FIAT CODE, amongst others. I understand this is to prevent the car/wheels being stolen and I need to get a code from the dealer and follow the emergency start-up procedure.

What I would appreciate some advice on is what happens next the manual says:

IMPORTANT After an emergency start-up, you should contact a Fiat Dealership otherwise you will have to repeat the procedure described each time you want to start the engine.

I am not clear what happens at this point, what does the dealer actually do? And also do they charge for this bit?

If anyone knows or has experienced this I appreciate your feedback.

Best wishes,

Adam

Hi Adam

The 'normal' thing here is triggering the
FIRE PREVENTION system

The reset button is in the passenger footwell ;)

Is the CODE system still recognising the Chip in the key?
Padlock symbol going out..

If so you are ok regarding the starting procedure

Listen carefully as you turn the key.. does the fuel pump whirr from under the back seat?

Last edited:
Many thanks for the advice.

Just been out after disconnecting the battery (as stated on this forum) and it started!

Was fearing the worst but, very much appreciate your response.

Do you think the drop from the Jack did it?

Best wishes,

Adam

Update.

I thought I solved it and ended up trying to rearm the fire prevention system. I could not hear the pump on ignition.

* turn ignition key to MAR;
* turn on right turn signal;
* turn off right turn signal;
* turn on left turn signal;
* turn off left turn signal;
* turn on right turn signal;
* turn off right turn signal;
* turn on left turn signal;
* turn off left turn signal;
* turn ignition key to STOP.

That worked, however, a week later I brought my daughter a fiat 500. I put the 500 key on the same ring as the punto key. Punto would not start, when I took the 500 key off the ring it did start, I assume the immobiliser in the 500 key being too close was causing the issue.

Thought it worth posting as you never know, somebody may be as silly as me!

Cheers.

Back