General Electronic Ignition Thingy

Currently reading:
General Electronic Ignition Thingy

Sprox

1 Key operation!
If I've got a CArburettor and a Distributor - What else do I have controllin the ignition? There is a small box marked with a lightning bolt under the air intake -Is there a coil?

DO these electronic boxes ever break down?

Should I have a Coil?

I've got a new carb and a new distributor but something is still not right - haven't got maximum power - so to speak!

Help!

Sprox said:
If I've got a CArburettor and a Distributor - What else do I have controllin the ignition? There is a small box marked with a lightning bolt under the air intake -Is there a coil?

DO these electronic boxes ever break down?

Should I have a Coil?

I've got a new carb and a new distributor but something is still not right - haven't got maximum power - so to speak!

Help!

If your coil is breaking down it would get hot (very hot)

I think you need to find out whats wrong or else you'll be replacing radom parts till you bank balance is empty and the cows have come home.

Check the usual stuff like timing, mixture, is it getting fuel? whatst the plug condition like etc. (sorry if you've already done this)

Jim

Check the usual stuff like timing, mixture, is it getting fuel? whatst the plug condition like etc. (sorry if you've already done this)

Jim[/QUOTE]

Yep! all been done! It's got loads of flat spots Captain!
I suspected that box with the lightning bolt on for a long time!
I'll check it out!
Will a Computer test bring up a result? I'm not a very good mechanic - I learned on a Fiat 126 and they've inly got pedal power!

Right, so it's Electronic then:(

At the end of the day it only generates a spark when a sensor tells it too so it shouldn't be that hard to work out if your not getting full power to the plugs...

If it was the coil then it's usually ok when cold but plays up when hot as the coil overheats.... Have you looked at that yet?

Jim

I'll see if I can find a Coil under the spare - I know what the 126 ones looked like so I'll hopefully find it - I'll take me camera!

Let's see if this picture of my engine bay appears on your screen!

Attachments

• Coil 1.JPG
    Coil 1.JPG
    481.6 KB · Views: 49
Hmmm - it doesn't look like a coil to me!
There is plenty of fuel in the in-line filter too.

yes, it's got the HT plug going into it - - some sort of electronic ignition box - but not a coil - right?

Back