Technical Electrical problems.

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical problems.

brom

Hi,
I have a 2020 Qubo Lounge 1.3jtd. Delightful little bus, very practical, comfortable, economical.

BUT - we've had a couple of sessions of problems with warning lights on the dash.
Start/stop has never worked, but that doesn't worry me - UNLESS it starts warning that it isn't working, monopolising the display.
The latest time, it also started simultaneously displaying that the AdBlue was low, and that we had 250 miles to refill it, or it wouldn't restart.
A bit unmannerly, I thought. I'm sure the last time the AdBlue warning came up, it gave me more warning - about 1000 miles, I seem to recall.
And that was only 3,000 miles ago - the previous refill was after 5,000.
No matter. I refilled the AdBlue, and it accepted just under 5 litres. Less than I expected.
However, the AdBlue warning light didn't go off, and it continued its countdown to non- restart.

Our garage has flushed the AdBlue system, and would have liked to remove the AdBlue injector, but it's apparently a big and horrible job, and (after just 3 years), is rusted in. It seems OK for now, but...
They say they have also re-set the Start/Stop, and that is not displaying any warnings. Whether it's working, I don't know yet.
We have noticed previously that all such electri al niggles seem to come after or during very wet weather.

Has anyone else had similar difficulties with their Qubo or Fiorino?
If so, what did you do about it?

Update. Had the battery changed. Shouldn't be necessary, but seemed a logical starting point.

All warning signs (including AdBlue) immediately disappeared - success!
For seven miles..... then, on the way home, 'the Start&Stop, check ad blue, check engine, check handbook' all came back, and then 'Start & Stop unavailable' endlessly scrolls across the screen. At least, so far, the threatening re-start limit for AdBlue hasn't reappeared.
Meanwhile, the car is running perfectly!

Erm hate to ask this - what's a Ducksbill?!

I will add a link..

They are drains for rainwater under the windscreen

See posts #14 and #15 😉

Last edited:
I will add a link..

They are drains for rainwater under the windscreen 😉
Ah! Didn't know that's what they're called. Thanks.
Yes, I've done that. Next door have some birch trees, which drip a trillion tiny seeds and mounds of flowers and leaves, so clearing those drain holes is a constant chore.

No problem, good to know that they are clear and unlikely to be an issue

The Cable

It's the Earth link from Battery to Chassis to Engine

So important..
But water can get in and rot the cable
= making and breaking the circuit as you drive 🤔. Worth getting its condition and function checked

That will be checked forthwith - thanks for the explanation.

Hi,
My mechanic confirms he has checked the earth cable is sound.

He is now away over half-term, so uncontactable for a week, but has sent me the readout of faults. The AdBlue is fully topped up, and the checks he's been able to make seem to show it's working OK. He hasn't yet removed the injector for testing, as it's a pig to get at and is corroded, so will probably break. That's a job for when he returns!

Attachments

• IMG-20240208-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240208-WA0006.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 23
Hi,
I have a 2020 Qubo Lounge 1.3jtd. Delightful little bus, very practical, comfortable, economical.

BUT - we've had a couple of sessions of problems with warning lights on the dash.
Start/stop has never worked, but that doesn't worry me - UNLESS it starts warning that it isn't working, monopolising the display.
The latest time, it also started simultaneously displaying that the AdBlue was low, and that we had 250 miles to refill it, or it wouldn't restart.
A bit unmannerly, I thought. I'm sure the last time the AdBlue warning came up, it gave me more warning - about 1000 miles, I seem to recall.
And that was only 3,000 miles ago - the previous refill was after 5,000.
No matter. I refilled the AdBlue, and it accepted just under 5 litres. Less than I expected.
However, the AdBlue warning light didn't go off, and it continued its countdown to non- restart.

Our garage has flushed the AdBlue system, and would have liked to remove the AdBlue injector, but it's apparently a big and horrible job, and (after just 3 years), is rusted in. It seems OK for now, but...
They say they have also re-set the Start/Stop, and that is not displaying any warnings. Whether it's working, I don't know yet.
We have noticed previously that all such electri al niggles seem to come after or during very wet weather.

Has anyone else had similar difficulties with their Qubo or Fiorino?
If so, what did you do about it?
According to legend (internet) Adblue was required on diesels from September 2015. I bought a 2019 Trekking last September and it's the first diesel Qubo I've had to add in the dreaded Urea/water mix. Never had in any of my other Qubos (first was a Fiorino on 2012 then 6 more since of which 4 were post 2015) Suffice to say it's a pain in the ass.
I had a firm come over to see about 'making it not work' on Monday but after a couple of hours, the ECU wouldn't accept the remap as the SCR was faulty (according to the guy's hi tech connection.) I have sourced another unit from Italy (2 day delivery! Amazing) Since the tech guy attempted the remap the engine warning light hasn't come on so I'm hopeful of some error having been cleared. I'll still fit the 'new' SCR and see what happens. ATM the car smokes going up long hills - I was told that the injector was stuck open. It's supposed to inject adblue at some predetermined time I believe but I don't know when (not all the time?)
All the techs you speak to say that these things (adblue, EGR, DPF) are a sop to the green brigade and if you look at a map of the world where the ULEZ zones and EURO 6 things happen, it's all just near Europe and nowhere else in the world - UK is a contributor of just 2% of C02 globally. Hmm.

R-V-M

According to legend (internet) Adblue was required on diesels from September 2015. I bought a 2019 Trekking last September and it's the first diesel Qubo I've had to add in the dreaded Urea/water mix. Never had in any of my other Qubos (first was a Fiorino on 2012 then 6 more since of which 4 were post 2015) Suffice to say it's a pain in the ass.
I had a firm come over to see about 'making it not work' on Monday but after a couple of hours, the ECU wouldn't accept the remap as the SCR was faulty (according to the guy's hi tech connection.) I have sourced another unit from Italy (2 day delivery! Amazing) Since the tech guy attempted the remap the engine warning light hasn't come on so I'm hopeful of some error having been cleared. I'll still fit the 'new' SCR and see what happens. ATM the car smokes going up long hills - I was told that the injector was stuck open. It's supposed to inject adblue at some predetermined time I believe but I don't know when (not all the time?)
All the techs you speak to say that these things (adblue, EGR, DPF) are a sop to the green brigade and if you look at a map of the world where the ULEZ zones and EURO 6 things happen, it's all just near Europe and nowhere else in the world - UK is a contributor of just 2% of C02 globally. Hmm.

R-V-M
Entirely agree. All complete nonsense.

The housing for the AdBlue injector is apoparently (a) very hard to get to; (b) heavily corroded (in a 3 year-old car?!) and (c) likely to break when he removes it to check whether it's working. 'Dealing with it' certainly sounds attractive - BUT aside from any other possible ramifications, I read that the Adblue in the system will crystallise and mean that, if it is switched back on later, the whole system might need to be replaced. Or the car thrown away in disgust! That sounds logical, but could be scaremongering - who knows?

By the way, someone has suggested that the 'BCM' on ours might be faulty. That's a new acronym on me!

Thanks. Yes, I've made further enquiries, and that seems to be it - a sort of miniature ECU dealing with peripherals like headlights, apparently. Said to be prone to damp and likely to suffer seizures and palpitations as a result.

It's also been suggested that the reason there's often a few miles' grace after starting the engine, before problems arise is that, initially, no AdBlue is injected into the exhaust system until it has reached a specific temperature. Then the AdBlue system is mobilised, tries to inject some into the exhaust, fails to do so for some reason and.... on come the warning lights.
Makes sense.

Same chap also suggested there might well be a filter in the AdBlue line, which could be blocked - worth checking.
Also, as the '249 miles to no re-start' countdown doesn't show every trip, the sensor could be intermittently faulty.

Trouble is, there are so many possible causes, and I'm sure my garage will track it down - eventually; but at what cost?
And who's to say the whole complex system won't repeat the exercise the following week?
Nightmare.

Back