Technical Electrical failures

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical failures

turbozed

I stalled my 2014 1.6 multijet when turning round and when I restarted it the engine light came on, start stop disabled, main bean not working (light on dash works) , front and rear fog lights not working (again dash light works) , reversing lights not working, cruise control comes on but won't engage. I don't have a owners book so I don't know what fuses do what. Has anybody got a link or something to a fuse layout so I can try and find what's going on?

I stalled my 2014 1.6 multijet when turning round and when I restarted it the engine light came on, start stop disabled, main bean not working (light on dash works) , front and rear fog lights not working (again dash light works) , reversing lights not working, cruise control comes on but won't engage. I don't have a owners book so I don't know what fuses do what. Has anybody got a link or something to a fuse layout so I can try and find what's going on?
I have a 2010 Doblo Maxi van 1.6 multijet, below is photos of handbook, sorry if poor quality as hands not so steady at 70(years not mph)
Problem may be due to weak battery or non "Stop/Start" battery fitted.
If nothing else wrong MES "proxi alignment" may be needed for the BCM etc to find the lost components.
I have stalled this one several times and all that has come up on dashboard has been the message "insufficient engine" which went on restarting.
My excuse for the stalling was when I first got it there was a black smoke problem, now cured, however with excess fuel diesel engines pull a lot better and until I got used to the efficient version I didn't rev the engine so much on take off, probably due to most of my diesels being 2.8 with loads of grunt, so not needing the revs, as could easily pull away on tick over almost.:)

Attachments

• DSCF1159.JPG
    DSCF1159.JPG
    462.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF1160.JPG
    DSCF1160.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF1161.JPG
    DSCF1161.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 23
I have a 2010 Doblo Maxi van 1.6 multijet, below is photos of handbook, sorry if poor quality as hands not so steady at 70(years not mph)
Problem may be due to weak battery or non "Stop/Start" battery fitted.
If nothing else wrong MES "proxi alignment" may be needed for the BCM etc to find the lost components.
I have stalled this one several times and all that has come up on dashboard has been the message "insufficient engine" which went on restarting.
My excuse for the stalling was when I first got it there was a black smoke problem, now cured, however with excess fuel diesel engines pull a lot better and until I got used to the efficient version I didn't rev the engine so much on take off, probably due to most of my diesels being 2.8 with loads of grunt, so not needing the revs, as could easily pull away on tick over almost.:)
Thanks for that, I'll start delving in.....

Look in the forums Downloads section for your Fuse board Layout info 🙂
Thank you! It was a fuse that had failed. There was 7 fault codes, all to do with power failures, but once the fuse was replaced they stayed cleared. The question is though, why did it pop? 🤔

That's quite a list of random components to fail together.
If the stall was quite violent, this might point to an earth cable fault. On the Pandas and 500s, the main battery earth cable has a habit of corroding internally, and breaking, or becoming a high resistance. Quite possibly the rest of the FIat range will suffer too, using the same aluminium cables.

So after the fuse box examination, a careful look at the main earth, and other earth points might be in order.

That's quite a list of random components to fail together.
If the stall was quite violent, this might point to an earth cable fault. On the Pandas and 500s, the main battery earth cable has a habit of corroding internally, and breaking, or becoming a high resistance. Quite possibly the rest of the FIat range will suffer too, using the same aluminium cables.

So after the fuse box examination, a careful look at the main earth, and other earth points might be in order.
Earth cable has already been replaced. The old one melted!! 😱

The fuse that failed powerd a relay on the engine fuse box that basically powered everything that had failed. Good job the engine was still running fine as I was in the remotest part of Wales you can get in!

Update on this. The fuse that popped was fuse 51. Now according to Fiat that fuse does internal power for brake pedal switch, clutch pedal switch, interior heater, convergence control unit Blue&Me™, sound system set-up, except it doesn't! It provides power for relay operation in the engine compartment fuse box, the reversing lights and the clutch pedal switch. The reason it had popped was I had fitted LED reversing light bulbs some time ago and the bridge rectifier on one of them burned out and short circuited. These faults didn't happen when I stalled the car, they happened when I engaged reverse. Gone back to filament bulbs and a new 7.5a fuse. So much for LEDs out lasting filament bulbs!

Back