Technical ECU problem?

Currently reading:
Technical ECU problem?

paul t.

Hey all, just found this nice forum thorugh googling my fault, searched the whole place and I can't seem to find an answer, so I'm posting it up. Any responses, please be as non-tech as possible as I am slightly clueless with cars....

Punto 2001 sporting 1.2 16v was left for a few weeks while I went away with my job, got back and battery dead. No problem, charged it in the garage and popped it back in. Engine started after a few seconds, nothing sounded weird and it ticked over erratically between 700-1100 RPM, which I'm led to believe is quite normal with this model.

So, I press down on the accelerator to reverse the car off the drive to take it for a warm-up spin and nothing happens. The accelerator doesn't do anything at all!

Now, I'm not completely clueless, so I checked the engine for the throttle cable to see if that was the problem, couldn't see it and was informed by a friend that the accelerator might be electronic, in which case the ECU might be buggered. :bang:

So anyone had any experience with this or just know what the fault is?

Thanks in advance.

The car has been sat like this for 3 weeks now, untouched on my driveway. Again due to being away with work, so I already had the battery off and charged.

I just reconnected it all and now I don't even get a light, signal or glimpse of any electrical power. No windows, ignition, warning lights, nothing!

So I've hooked it up to my battery charger and stuck it on a 12v trickle charge just to be sure, but I charged it last month and that seems strange. Does a battery lose power if not used at all?

Thx for replying BTW. I'll try what you said in the morning now and get back to you.

Any other replies all welcome, BTW, the more potential solutions the merrier! :rolleyes:

well i dont know exactly your fault but batterys can go dead on there own instantly.
my sisters car batter worked fine drove to work. went to come home battery ded no charge in it and could not be charged.stuck on over night charge still completly flat in the next day could not even power a light.

hmm the elec accelerator has a sensor wich is in the engine down drivers side next to the engine mount, its just below the arm that you use to hold the bonnet up. has 2 bolts in it. maybe that could be faulty ? but not sure how you could check it? maybe get one from scrap yard and try ?? make sure you discoonect battery before unpluging and removing if you do.

worth a try over a new battery or ECU first I suppose, cheers.

edit: charged battery a little and have some power, so thats a relief for now.

Last edited:
Problem solved.

I put a brand new battery in and it all worked first time.

So, a little curious why the accelerator didn't work initially and now it does with more battery power, but hey, it works.

Couldn't see what you were on about in the engine though?

Quite right T, the problem is due to loss of power causing the throttle settings to be carried out, this needs to be done by examiner but as T says the ecu always rechecks it when first switched on, follow his procedure and many times it will recover. You may get the odometer flashing, due to battery voltage problems and this means proxi alignment required, a dealer can only do this.

Yeah, luckily my battery was 56 quid from halfords. It could of a whole lot more if I'd taken it to the dealers! Thanks guys for your tips.

no, I meant they could have replaced the chip and that would've cost me a bomb, lol.

So, a little curious why the accelerator didn't work initially and now it does with more battery power, but hey, it works.

When the voltage drops the ECU can show these problems. As your battery was weak most likely the voltage was too low.

Back