Technical ECU Immobilisers

Currently reading:
Technical ECU Immobilisers

Hi Peeps!

Right people, the looms are ready to install but I need some important advice.
The Punto 75 I ripped the engine out of had one of those stupid Immobiliser rings around the ignition barrel.

On the manual PIN #7 on the ECU is marked as nothing, however on ECU PIN 7 connects via a two pin waterproof plug, through the bulkhead, to a small black box. The plastic ring that does something clever with a red key plugs into it also.

As far as I understand, the engine will not start without that red key being next to the ring around the ignition barrel.

Does anyone know how clever this system is? Can I simply remove PIN 7 from the ECU and start the engine normally?
Is there anything else connected to that black box?

The good news is I have the entire loom and the red key and ring from the Punto.

:confused::confused::confused:

Cheers
Nick

From the sounds of it I would guess that the ECU will only allow the engine to start if it gets the correct signal from the immobiliser. In my opinion simply unplugging it wouldn't work or it would be far too easy to bypass. Why not just leave it connected and hide it tidily under the dashboard? That way you have some added security.

Ask Damon (Panda Sport) as he has a similar system fitted in Twinky, the 16v classic Panda. The plastic ring (code sensor) works with both the blue and red keys and you only need one of those keys to be near it to switch off the immobiliser. You can simply have the key code pick up ring situated somewhere in your car, put the coded key near it when you want to start the engine and use the normal Panda ignition key to activate the ignition circuits. Again Damon will be able to advise you on this.

From what I gather the only way to completely remove the coded key immobiliser is to have the ECU reprogrammed. The 'Mckritch' chip that a lot of people fitted to Cinq/ Sei Sportings did this but I think it was only suitable for the Punto 60 SPi ECU. If you contact Mckritch he might be able to reprogram your ECU if you send it to him (for a fee of course, but probably cheaper than those that advertise such services). It's not as simple as just removing the key sensor or bridging a couple of pins on the ECU unfortunatey - it wouldn't be a very effective immobiliser if that were the case!

Best of luck,

Chas

As mentioned by others, wire it up and place the 'O' ring under the cloth dash somewhere and tape the Red key to it. That way the imobiliser will always be unlocked enabling you to use the Panda's origional key to start the engine.

Jon.

Probably best to do that with the blue key instead of the red key but as your going for a belts and braces project here.... Get the blue keyfob moulded into a panda keyring? Would be unique like the rest of the car and give you some security.

Jim

As mentioned by others, wire it up and place the 'O' ring under the cloth dash somewhere and tape the Red key to it. That way the imobiliser will always be unlocked enabling you to use the Panda's origional key to start the engine.

Jon.

What cloth dash ;)

Thanks everyone. I've checked the wiring and all seams well. There's defo a switched and constant power wire going to the box and the rest is fairly straight forward.
N

Thats seems a good price. have a look in the Cento FAQ's they have chips called "mckritch chips" The bloke writes it himself and doesn't include the imobilisser. think it's a performance chip though wich might not be up your street.

Does this mean once it's back it's ready to go? I'm so excited to see it running

Great news peeps!

I've found a company that can do work on the Fiat FIRE Magnetti Marelli ECU's!!

For removal of the software immobiliser on PIN#7 - £45 all in!
They are:
Blue Streak Electronics Inc.
http://www.bsecorp.com/

You absolute star!!! :worship:

That little nugget of information will save me so much farting around and a not insignificant, given my budget, amount of money (so long as they are happy doing that on the punto sporting ecu).

That's made my evening!!

Thanks again, Luke. (y)

Back