Tuning SPI ECU thoughts...

Currently reading:
Tuning SPI ECU thoughts...

So I will be putting the MK1 punto 60 1.2 SPI engine in the 4X4 project 'Brian'.

I suddenly realised I have a panda SPI loom and ECU sitting in the garage from the previous engine swap I did, when I converted my daily to the 1.2 MPI.

I'm thinking using the panda ECU would save me mounting the eye sore of the Punto ECU in the engine bay. And also make a neater wiring installation.

Does anybody reckon I would come across problems with the fuel mapping? I.e under-fuelling due to the 0.2 litre jump?

Last edited:
Whilst I know the 999cc set up will run the 1242 perfectly ok, its not going to be at its best and personally I would always stick with what was intended for the engine.

I have just done Andy's car and we have had to ditch the headlamp washers so the ECU could be mounted on the inner wing. The way the loom is laid out in the Punto means the ECU plug lands exactly in that area in a Panda and it all works fairly neatly without much modification of the loom at all. I think Andy's engine bay has actually ended up neater than a factory SPI Panda, they are quite a rats nest! I am sure though if you stripped the loom the ECU could go elsewhere, I think Dragon Man got his under the sound deadening.

Another thought, will the Punto ECU plug into the Panda loom? I can foresee immobilizer problems, but could be another option?

if you can be bothered, you can take all of the loom apart. when you do this you can make it so the ECU can go behind the battery.. behind the sound proofing. its where i put it on Fallout.
make sure you save all the bits of pipe as you can put it all back on to make it look nice and neat.

Back