Ebay Car Auctions - What is up with them?

Currently reading:
Ebay Car Auctions - What is up with them?

Liam

hi friends :waves:
I am always looking at Ebay auctions for cars and just recently I have found numerous auctions which state

"I will not give it away"

"If price is not high enough I won't sell"

Other comments to that effect but all seem to have no reserve and low starts for cars of that stature?

Am am extremely thick and missing something or does these guys not know that if by some weird series of events their E46 M3 went for £5k then they should have to sell it?

Discuss.

Liam

i can see what you meen here, they just pull them before then end if there not selling or some even bid them up with different accounts. ive encountered con artists like this on ebay before. me and my dad just walked away.:)

It's not like e-bay are going to intervene either way right or wrong. Whilst looking at a Stilo the other day I trawled through this chaps other auctions (car dealer) and in 12 of them the same bidders name appeared in the bidders list. He would never win, just bump up the price. When I looked at the bidders location he just happened to be in the same village as the seller.

I pointed this out to e-bay and they sent a one line response to me saying "insufficient evidence".

victoriavauxhall if you want to see, the name darren6658 or something like that is the bumper. Since then I am really wary of e-bay despite having 120 transactions with 100% feedback.

ebay has its proper dodgy sellers but as you say the number now of peeps that are just been plain a holes is on the increase, there is quite often links and text saying:;-

I have the car advertised elsewhere for £1495 (this is a 18yr old volvo 240 saloon (4dr so not in any way interesting like the 242's are) with over 200k and a tatty interior) when the most they are possibly gonna get for it is £300 on a very very good day with an idiot paying that much for it, And reserve the right to remove it at any time.

They know the rules, their just playing dumb

When you put a reserve price on something you have to pay eBay or Paypal, I forget which, a percentage of the final selling price. this can often work out to be quite a lot so its better for the seller to put no reserve, problem with no reserve is you have to start the bidding high which often puts a lot of buyers off, where as if it starts at 99p psychologically buyers think they are getting a bargain even if they end up paying more then what the seller would have placed the starting bid at anyway. :confused:

But thats people for you.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Glad to see somebody else has noticed(y) I find the best way to handle shill bidding is by threatening to report it unless they withdraw item and describe& run the auction according to E-Bay rules and regulations.Keep an eye out for Punto body kits from B,ham, start off at low,low price but in the last 36hrs people with no history start bidding, its a joke!
Classic on car auctions,"advertised elsewhere so reserve the right to withdraw". I honestly think people are just plain dumb and think they,re gonna get mega money for a car with no mot:bang:

Not really, ebay is an auction site, you list your item you takes your chances; utimately ebay don't police it adequately relying on users to police 0 great policy hey! If you have a minimum sell price then you set a reserve however that costs money so people don't do it. The other problem is that people have an unrealistic expectation of the value of their car as previously said.

Ebay should have a shutdown policy, so if you withdraw more than 3 auctions in 1 year your account is closed or something like that.

Shill bidding/bidding on your own item is rife, just look for all the auctions with zero bidders or with newly registered accounts. Another thing to check is feedback and previous auction for regular bidders.

Back