General Eats petrol

Currently reading:
General Eats petrol

pethedges

Have just bought a M reg 899cc cinq for my teenage daughter thinking it would be economical on fuel - WRONG!! It eats petrol! Have had it serviced, and the garage found nothing untoward. They did say that the petrol tank was a bit rusty, but could find no sign of a leak.
Any thoughts? :)

Don't think she's that bad - quite conservative really. Just can't understand where it goes.

Yes - all 3 filters done, and no service lights on. All in all, it's a stunning little car - in excellent condition for its age. Perfect for new driver here in Milton Keynes - loads of roundabouts and never anywhere to park!!
Maybe it's a matter of just getting used to it and driving as conservatively a possible around town.
Really appreciate everyone's suggestions etc - big thank you!

From what I've read the 899 isn't quite as good as the 1.1. Because it's a smaller engine you have to push it more.

I must admit that I was hoping for better out of the 1.1 sei. I had a pug 1.1 106 that did a consistent 56mpg. A good 400+ miles a tank at <£40.(y)

The Sie looks like doung under 300 miles on >£35 a tank.

Only had it a week so can't give definate figures yet.

I would of hoped for 55-60mpg based on the engine and size of the car.(n)

Checked the brakes aren't sticky?

My sporting dropped from 41 -> 37mpg with one rear wheel sticking - see if either side front and back feels hotter when you touch the wheel after taking it for a run.

I will jack up and try at weekend.

The handbrake does seem overly good considering they are notouriously bad! It does it's job on one click. Although the car does roll freely on a hill and smootly to a stop on the flat.

I think I need to get an haynes manual this weekend.

Is it easy yo back the handbrake off?

Easy enough once you've crawled/wriggled under to the centre of the car :)

Lock nut and adjuster nut iirc.

And yes handbrake on a M reg should be a bit crappo, I'd advise leaving it in gear when parked up just in case.

Nah, mine's an 02 Sei. I'm not the OP.

Din 't want to start a new thread for same subject.

Ta.

Good point about the brakes locking on, as most other things have been tried you may have to suspect other components:
Intake Air Temp Sensor (IAT)
The injector
The Throttle Position sensor
The Fuel Pressure/delivery rate/fuel pressure regulator

Back