Easy jobs that turn into SOB's

Currently reading:
Easy jobs that turn into SOB's

littleted

Having worked on fiats for many years and owned many 70's and 80's Fiats I'd like to know what simple repair jobs you have started that have turned into nightmares. I'd like to nominate changing the passenger side headlight bulb on the Grande punto.

Changing the cambelt on my 1.2 Panda. This should be quite straightforward, but several tiny things combined to make it quite hard work.
To release the auxiliary belt, we have to heave the tensioner away, and hold it while removing the belt. Needs a ring spanner, as no space for a socket and long bar. So I had to find a longer than usual 13mm ring spanner.
Removing the top engine mounting seems simple, until you find access is tight. A short 3/8 drive socket works best, but I only had a 1/2 drive, which was too deep to allow any bar on it. Another shopping delay.
Detaching the bottom hose from the radiator to drain the coolant proved difficult. Best access is from underneath, where you will get a bath when it releases. Such fun.
The water pump seemed to have been glued in by Fiat. This took a lot of fiddling around its gasket face with a sharp blade before it let go.
The cam sprocket bolt is a torx E55. I had one, owned for years, never used. The tool turned out to be a duff one, improperly machined. Another shopping delay.
At last, suddenly it all worked, had it back together in no time.

Next time, in about 4 years, it'll be done in a day.

I nominate changing the coolant on the 1.2 FIRE engine from when I did it on my Panda (non air-conditioning).

YES, it's supposed to be a very easy DIY even for the most novice of us but there's no drain plug on the radiator or anywhere.. you must undo the lower hose. Which is JAMMED in and the heat causes it to bond and the clip won't come off without destroying it arghhh I hated it.

Had to pay a mechanic £25 to solve it and will probably need a £55 replacement part next time ;-(

Changing the mid-box on my 100hp to a group 'n' version.... should have taken no more than an hour but the bolts on the downpipe flange refused to give up even with Irwin extractor sockets... had to be cut off with a grinder then the flange had to be drilled with a drill that wasn't really up to the job... job eventually took eight hours and I ended up having two days off work and two trips to hospital to have metal removed from my eyes.

ANY heater matrix -:bang:

EXCEPT classic boxy panda's :cool:= Design GENIUS:worship:

TBH - I've only ever had the 1 matrix fail though..,
2004 panda - AND I made a GUIDE for FF;)

New design (Grande and later) it's very easy also. Just 2 screws and you can slide the heater out.

Evaporator isn't so easy though...

I think replacing the alternator on a 1.4 16v grande is pain cause there is literally no space to put your hands... :cry:

BUT!!!! Replacing REAR speakers on a 3 door Grande is a real nightmare :bang::bang::bang::bang: I really think it's easier/faster to remove the engine.

life lesson : Changing oil myself for 1st time on my 2.5 year old FFSH car,

went to sump plug with the FIAT standard 12mm key - didn't fit,
next day purchased BIG torx bits - Didn't fit

borrowed a large selection set..nothing fitted, so waited til next weekend to visit FIAT dealer for new replacement plug - non stock, another weeks wait.

plug arrived, was the standard 12mm hex socket, :rolleyes:

I had to use an angle grinder to remove the old BUTCHERED plug - Experts eh..!!

I waited another 10 years before spending (wasting..??) money on main dealer servicing again - Twinair / warranty;)

on the bright side, at least the sump thread was still perfectly serviceable:)

I've worked on cars for over 40 yrs & although it covers a multitude of sins....Rust. Rust is the DIY mechanics enemy. Anything from having to rearrange your week because that rusted part needs to be cut out & replaced to that last nut & bolt that just will not come out due to that tin rot. No matter how easy a job, the metallic munching monster can dramatically slow you down......:mad:

Got to agree, once had a 1982 Strada 60cl only three years old but rot in every panel...

Aye, back in the day when I just needed a banger to get me back & forth to work in the oil yards, seven days a week 12hr+ shifts, I had a Triumph Acclaim, great wee engine (Honda) but the body & doors were just rotten with rust. I patched that motor up time & time again after MOT time, simply because the engine just kept going on & on, & I asked quite a lot out of it at times.............Ah happy days, young carefree, life was not complicated, no electronic gadgetry to make things difficult.

Now I'm cynical to a point that even I don't like, & I'm decrepit to boot. Perhaps the rust has got the better of me after all these years........:D

Were to start, the bottom bolts of the front shocks and even worse the anti roll bushes inner and outer on my mk2 punto they were a sod

Not Fiat but my Series 1 Land Rover.
Removing the bolts that hold the firewall - one on each side.
Simple: Undo bolt, tap out bolt, lift off firewall.

Took six weeks, the second bolt used four of those. Both nuts had to be ground out. Lots of heat with the torch and bashing with the hammer. Eventually, I got the first one out. The second I had to drill out... well, over half of it before it capitulated.

I feel a certain amount of sympathy for the novice, who perhaps has done their homework on a relatively easy job, only to be presented with the dreaded rust when tackling said job.

Heart sinks, plan B or C into action....:bang:

Well after a week of trying to remove the electrical connector from the headlight bulb ( it is as ridiculous as it sounds ) I'm going to have to remove the bumper and take the headlight out. Glad to know I'm not on my own. Changed hundreds of bulbs but this is just the worst.

Well after a week of trying to remove the electrical connector from the headlight bulb ( it is as ridiculous as it sounds ) I'm going to have to remove the bumper and take the headlight out. Glad to know I'm not on my own. Changed hundreds of bulbs but this is just the worst.

not done an AUDI then;)

what car is your current issue with?:confused:

Charlie

2008 Grande punto limited space behind the passenger side headlight can grab the connector but just can not pull it off.

Back