Technical Dynamo pulley hub

Currently reading:
Technical Dynamo pulley hub

Berlinette

Has anyone experienced any of the studs on the dynamo pulley hub shearing off?

Took our 500F out for a 50 mile round trip yesterday afternoon and the pulley was only being held on by one of the studs when we got back. The drive belt had also been damaged. Making a lot of noise also obviously.

Managed to get the hub off the end of the dynamo shaft today and two of the three studs had sheared off.

I can't quite make out what has caused this.

Thanks

The most logical cause of this problem would be misalignment of the belt. One of the pulley halves is an 'inside' half and the other is the 'outside' half---they are different. When you rebuild/refit/replace the pulley and replace the belt, make sure that the belt and pulleys are aligned correctly. I am sure that you are aware that you adjust the belt tension by adding/subtracting (as required) the shims between the 2 pulley halves. The unused shims should be on the OUTSIDE of the outer pulley half---if they are put on the inside, the pulley will be out of correct alignment.

Thanks, yes the shims were on the outside but the pulley may still have been misaligned.

When fitting a new drive belt is there any guidance as to how many shims you should start off with between the two pulley halves? I know that the tension may need checking a few times as new belts stretch.

Back