Technical Alternator/dynamo pulley

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator/dynamo pulley

W Bakker

Hi all, I recently purchased a 71 500l.

Two of the three studs on the alternator/dynamo pulley have broken off about halfway so the pulley has to be replaced.

I can't figure out if there is any way to block the alternator from spinning to release the 19mm nut holding it on.

Are there any tips to get this nut off?

Many thanks!

Hi all, I recently purchased a 71 500l.

Two of the three studs on the alternator/dynamo pulley have broken off about halfway so the pulley has to be replaced.

I can't figure out if there is any way to block the alternator from spinning to release the 19mm nut holding it on.

Are there any tips to get this nut off?

Many thanks!
Possibly use a vice or large Stilson, with soft jaws to grip the pulley without damage (wood or aluminium) or an impact wrench if available?
Later vehicles are more of a problem these days as they have "one way clutches" in pulley so need special locking tools.

Hello all,

I have finally managed to replace the carrier for the dynamo pulley. I removed the belt and the two discs that carry said belt. After that, I grabbed hold of the carrier with some locking pliers and took off the nut with a 19mm socket and a 75cm breaker bar. Had a little struggle to break the bolt loose but it was pretty easy after all :)

Thank you both for the help!

Back