Styling Dying Car Seats

Currently reading:
Styling Dying Car Seats

I know this may seem weird, but do you think it would be possible to dye car seats, they're the standard blue seats, and i want to dye them black, i don't really have the money to get them reupholstered, and not sure i will for a long time!
A few months back i had a hat and i dyed it black using some clothes dye, you can buy machine dye that you put in the washing machine, or hand was dye, i brought the hand wash dye and becuase this hat i had ( new era hat ) you can't put them in the wash as they mishape really badly, so i got a spray bottle, like a house hold cleaning bottle, filled it up with the dye, and sprayed the hat, i used small layers at a time so it didn't get too wet, then built up the layers then washed it out by putting parts of the hat under the tap, then drying it, then doing a different part, and it came out really well.
Just wondering if i could apply this method to the car seats, i was thinking of doing the spray, no need to do it in small layers, just spray it on, then vax the seats, then do another layer, then vax again until it came out a nice solid black, but my only concern is that i don't know if the colour will run, i wouldn't have thought it would if i vaxed it and made sure the water ran clear in the vax, that would mean no black dye is coming off, but would there be any cases of it coming off onto your clothes if it was a hot day or if i got wet in the rain then sat in the car?
Then i'd be F*cked, thats the only part stopping me from doing it,
I know its a DIY job but it could come out well, and it would be really cheap if it works.
Please share your opinions (y) good or bad :)

use search.. someone else has done it using special upholstery spray paint.. that didn't seem to run.. this might be better off in the styling section too

ps: you can strip the current upholstery (yes it’s removable and there’s even been a guide by knocking about.. again use search) if that helps

Back