Technical Ducato rear power socket wiring help needed

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato rear power socket wiring help needed

Fredastaire

I have a March 2017 Ducato L2H2 nearly converted to a Campervan. I need help for the rear power socket, (not factory installed at purchase). The factory wiring is all there, the applicable fuse F09 is in the engine bay fusebox. Ive added a rear cigarette lighter socket to the factory wiring however its dead. Ive removed the RH driver step panel, found the yellow wire, proved electrically that its the one to the rear and its electrically dead, (no voltage ign on or off; no Ohms resistance to chassis).

I dont have and cannot find a wiring diagram, I am assuming that either there is a relay missing or its not switched on by the Canbus. The handbook shows all the fuses listed however although relays are shown, it doesnt identify the relays at all.

If I can find out which relay it is and where then i'm wondering about removing the relay and putting a jumper wire across the main spades.

Please can anybody help?

Thanks Ray, however mine doesnt have the convertors unit, they are only included if the buyer pays extra for this option. Mine is clearly on the underbonnet fuse box as F09, I just need somebody to tell me where the relay is that works with this fuse then its a simple addition of a jumper wire. Or somebody to tell me where there is a wiring diagram applicable.
Kind regards

Thanks Ray, however mine doesnt have the convertors unit, they are only included if the buyer pays extra for this option. Mine is clearly on the underbonnet fuse box as F09, I just need somebody to tell me where the relay is that works with this fuse then its a simple addition of a jumper wire. Or somebody to tell me where there is a wiring diagram applicable.
Kind regards

Fred, on a Euro 6 van the rear power (lighter) socket is supplied via relay T17 from Fuse F09, both located in the engine bay fuse box. The purpose of the relay is to interrupt the supply to the rear power socket during engine starting.

Relay T17 is on the extreme right directly below the row of fuses including F09 - i.e. the relay is directly below fuse F30 which is in turn to the right of fuse F09 on the diagram in my vehicle handbook.

Hope that helps.

Relay T17 is on the extreme right directly below the row of fuses including F09 - i.e. the relay is directly below fuse F30 which is in turn to the right of fuse F09 on the diagram in my vehicle handbook.

Thank you RS, Im hopeful that I might get sorted. question, do you have a handbook with the fuses identified by its number? mine doesnt have any ID, just a rectangle. Its too dark to go out and have a look, I'm wondering if T17 is installed or not. My van as supplied wasnt equipped with the power socket; its just the wiring and fuse that ive found.
Kind regards Fred

Thank you RS, Im hopeful that I might get sorted. question, do you have a handbook with the fuses identified by its number? mine doesnt have any ID, just a rectangle. Its too dark to go out and have a look, I'm wondering if T17 is installed or not. My van as supplied wasnt equipped with the power socket; its just the wiring and fuse that ive found.
Kind regards Fred

Hope the attached image comes out OK.

Attachments

• FuseBox.JPG
    FuseBox.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 121
Thanks RS, yes that's clear. Next problem on the X290 is that the fuse box is hidden by the headlight. I've already undone the visible top outer headlamp bolt at the scuttle and the inner screw by the slam panel. Please may I ask if you know where and how to reach and undo the hidden headlamp fixings?
I've already managed to fight my way in to undo the quarter turn fuse box lid retainer screws. I had to unclip the wiring harness at the scuttle plenum panel before reaching the fuse with fine snipe nose pliers. All crazily difficult. So it's headlamp out time!
Many thanks so far, kind regards and thanks from Fred

Last edited:
Thanks RS, yes that's clear. Next problem on the X290 is that the fuse box is hidden by the headlight. I've already undone the visible top outer headlamp bolt at the scuttle and the inner screw by the slam panel. Please may I ask if you know where and how to reach and undo the hidden headlamp fixings?
I've already managed to fight my way in to undo the quarter turn fuse box lid retainer screws. I had to unclip the wiring harness at the scuttle plenum panel before reaching the fuse with fine snipe nose pliers. All crazily difficult. So it's headlamp out time!
Many thanks so far, kind regards and thanks from Fred

Fred,

Once the two screws are removed, slide the headlamp sideways towards the centre of the vehicle to disengage the lower fixing lugs. The wiring connector has a twist ring on it and then pulls off when disengaged. I'd also suggest putting a dab of grease or similar on the screw threads when refitting the light unit. The outer screw in particular relies on a plastic extension which looks like it might break easily if the screw becomes corroded into the panel.

Thanks RS, that made life easy. F17 wasnt fitted at the factory. Temporary ive fitted a jumper lead with crimp tags and all works at the rear power socket.
so next question if I may, what do relays T03; T05; T10 & T14 do?
If any one of these has a redundant application on my van then all I need to do is move it over.
I would prefer a proper relay in its socket as my van is under a three year warranty so if its a proper relay nobody could spot anything at service time.
Kind regards from Fred

I hope I am not being nosy but what use do you want from the rear socket? If it only works when the ignition is on does that suite your purpose?
Most campers have a socket in the habitation area powered from the habitation battery.

Thanks RS, that made life easy. F17 wasnt fitted at the factory. Temporary ive fitted a jumper lead with crimp tags and all works at the rear power socket.
so next question if I may, what do relays T03; T05; T10 & T14 do?
If any one of these has a redundant application on my van then all I need to do is move it over.
I would prefer a proper relay in its socket as my van is under a three year warranty so if its a proper relay nobody could spot anything at service time.
Kind regards from Fred

Fred,

T03 = horn, T05 = Aircon compressor, T10 = fuel pump, T14 = mirror demisters. Any other relays you have fitted in the engine fuse box are all engine management and wiper control related.

Wouldn't it be easiest to buy a T17 relay from a FP dealer?

Ray, the power socket is not ignition controlled as such. It's a permanent live feed except that the purpose of the relay is to temporarily interrupt the supply when the starter motor is energised.

Last edited:
Hi RS, thanks and you are quite correct, the thing stopping me is the 1 1/2 hour round trip to the dealer to select and order and the 1 hour round trip to collect after they've had it delivered.
If there had been a redundant relay it would have been easy. I'm just so pleased that you helped me to solve the problem. After Christmas I can now install my air rear suspension knowing that it's easily pumped up.
Kind regards and may I wish you a happy Christmas

Fred, look up seller desiragroup on eBay, or email [email protected]

They are a Fiat and FP dealer in Norfolk. They will look up what you want and quote you a price including delivery by post. I've bought service items from them cheaper including delivery than my local FP dealer wants over the counter.

Merry Christmas to you too :)

Fred, look up seller desiragroup on eBay, or email ...

They are a Fiat and FP dealer in Norfolk. They will look up what you want and quote you a price including delivery by post. I've bought service items from them cheaper including delivery than my local FP dealer wants over the counter.

Merry Christmas to you too :)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this has been super helpful and I felt any continuation probably belonged in here.

Firstly, thanks to all above for making this step much easier.

Now, I'm having a problem sourcing the relay to get the socket working - all of the Fiat part dealers I speak to keep saying they can only search for parts by what was originally equipped on the vehicle. This is a really weird stance I've not seen with other manufacturers. Is there any way around this, or any parts dealers that won't have this limitation that anyone knows of??

If you could find someone who has this socket fitted as OE you could use their vin to order the part.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this has been super helpful and I felt any continuation probably belonged in here.

Firstly, thanks to all above for making this step much easier.

Now, I'm having a problem sourcing the relay to get the socket working - all of the Fiat part dealers I speak to keep saying they can only search for parts by what was originally equipped on the vehicle. This is a really weird stance I've not seen with other manufacturers. Is there any way around this, or any parts dealers that won't have this limitation that anyone knows of??

4HG is the code for rear power outlet, I only see one relay part number related to 12v socket thats 11129885 but its not specifically listed as for 4HG.

Back