Technical Ducato hill assist/hill holder

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato hill assist/hill holder

redrick456

Hi, I have a 2015 Ducato based comfortmatic Chausson. This is a semi automatic gearbox, so some form of hill start is needed. My manual talks about something called Hill Holder, or Hill Assist, which gives you a couple of seconds brake hold on the van to stop it rolling back before you can get your foot on the gas. The manual implies this is a standard feature, (not "depending on version").
How can I tell if my van has this feature, and how do I activate it?

If i don't have it, can it be retro fitted?

Many thanks
Rick

Hi, I have a 2015 Ducato based comfortmatic Chausson. This is a semi automatic gearbox, so some form of hill start is needed. My manual talks about something called Hill Holder, or Hill Assist, which gives you a couple of seconds brake hold on the van to stop it rolling back before you can get your foot on the gas. The manual implies this is a standard feature, (not "depending on version").
How can I tell if my van has this feature, and how do I activate it?

If i don't have it, can it be retro fitted?

Many thanks
Rick
I think that you should start by determing whether or not your Ducato has ABS installed. The "Hill Holder" uses the ABS system to provide the braking.

If your vehicle has ABS and Hill Holder, I would expect to see a Hill Holder button on the dash.

The "Hill Holder" function is actually part of the ESC capabilities. Specs for motorhome bases vary sometimes from the standard offerings, but I would have thought you would have it incorporated on a 2015 'van. There is no "Hill Holder" button on the dash, though you might have a "hill descent control" button, which is a rather different function.

Best way to check if you have it is to test on a nice clear bit of hilly road. FWIW, though the write-up mentions inclines in excess of 5%, my experience is that it needs to be a noticeable incline (certainly feeling more than 5%) before it cuts in.

1689617366535.png

Back