Technical Ducato fuel pressure control valve.

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato fuel pressure control valve.

Mark0575

I am hoping that somebody can help. I have a w013 ducato 180. Last week the engine warning light came on but did not go into limp mode. Managed to read fault code and it gave p##13. I cant remember the first 2 numbers but i do know that it was the fuel pressure control valve that is fitted that goes into the fuel pump. A new valve was ordered from coastal motor homes along with a new filter. A mechanic friend fitted the new valve today after having to remove the fan and shroud behind the radiator. When fitted the van started on tickover for a couple of minutes then just cut out. Now the van will not start and I got the message chek fuel filter but the filter is fine. Can anybody advise me.

I am hoping that somebody can help. I have a w013 ducato 180. Last week the engine warning light came on but did not go into limp mode. Managed to read fault code and it gave p##13. I cant remember the first 2 numbers but i do know that it was the fuel pressure control valve that is fitted that goes into the fuel pump. A new valve was ordered from coastal motor homes along with a new filter. A mechanic friend fitted the new valve today after having to remove the fan and shroud behind the radiator. When fitted the van started on tickover for a couple of minutes then just cut out. Now the van will not start and I got the message chek fuel filter but the filter is fine. Can anybody advise me.
Does your vehicle have a hand primer for the fuel filter to bleed air out of system or does it have an electric pump in tank.
I am assuming system was bled before trying to start otherwise they will start for a few minutes and then die.
Another point, a friend who had a similar set up had a faulty primer where it rubbed through and again allowed air in to system.
It can depend on what type of high pressure injector pump yours has as to whether it uses a primer or a electric pump in tank which is the better option in my opinion.

I have found the correct fault code which is P0748 which is the pressure regulator solenoid valve. A new valve has been fitted. Did another scan but same fault code comes up. Put it all back together, turned ignition on. Engine turns over but will not fire up. Even had my mate tow me round the block to jump start but nothing. Now pulling out what's left of my hair. Would really like some advice please.

I am thinking from basics, not from particular knowledge of your engine.

The ECU supplies a pulse width modulated signal to the regulatar valve. No voltage corresponds to minimum pressure.

I am wondering if there is a wiring fault, and that minimum pressure is inadequate at cranking speed.

The ECU can only check that current flows through the HP regulator solenoid, and monitor the output via the pressure sensor on the fuel rail.

It seems to me that the ECU cannot tell the difference between a faulty valve and faulty wiring. If you have retained the old valve, my first suggestion would be to measure the resistance with a multimeter.

If OK, the second more dificult step would be to try and measure the voltage across the old valve, electrically connected instead of the new one, or the new valve if easier.

Another line of approach would be to check the fuel pressure seen by the ECU, via Multiecuscan or similar software.

It might help if you answer the questions I posed at the beginning of your thread.
Also I would strongly advise against trying to tow start for at least two reasons, one the sudden shock on a high compression diesel engine can cause the cambelt to break and other damage, and secondly , if as I suspect fuel isn't getting to the injector pump , then dragging it around trying to start without the diesel oil which is the only lubricant for the injection system will cause harm.
Basically if a diesel doesn't start with a few cranks of the starter with a good battery then dragging it for miles will not either!

Back