General Dualogic best with TwinAir or 1.2?

Currently reading:
General Dualogic best with TwinAir or 1.2?

The Dualogic is not jerky if you drive it sympathetically and in harmony with it. You can make it jerky, but if you have one for longer than a test drive it is very easy to drive it smoothly having got used to how it likes to be driven.

If you need a car that changes gear for itself, the Dualogic is pretty hard to beat.

The Dualogic is not jerky if you drive it sympathetically and in harmony with it. You can make it jerky, but if you have one for longer than a test drive it is very easy to drive it smoothly having got used to how it likes to be driven.

If you need a car that changes gear for itself, the Dualogic is pretty hard to beat.

2 x Dualogics in my domain 1 x TA and 1 x 1.2 Pop. Jerkiness ??? Can't say I've noticed on either and I'm keen on the throttle.(y)

TA Lounge with Duologic is in UK at last- now just got to get it delivered from depot to dealer. Did not find it jerky even on my first test drive hence the order.

Welcome to the forum fubar500.(y)
Thank you.
In my defence to others who have posted in favour of the Dualogic I did use the word subjective. I've driven a lot; 4, 5 & 6 speed, DSG, CVT, tiptronic etc at risk of being a bore....
Personally I think it's down there with the box fitted to the Smart car.
I wish it was better because I prefer automatics and a good one performs better than most drivers can in general driving.
The advantages of the Dualogic are simplicity, purchase cost and potential economy savings. If refined was on that list it would appear as an option on the prestige marques.
I wouldn't knock anyone for having it as it makes a lot of sense.

Without checking the cost of these 2 cars I reckon a Panda TA dualogic will cost the same as Fiat 500 1.2 dualogic in similar spec.

It might, but another thing to think about for anyone not keeping the car long term is the depreciation - I strongly suspect the Panda will be worth thousands less than the 500 if you trade in after 3 yrs.

The Panda is just as good a car - but fashionability influences prices more than functionality.

Last edited:

I agree with you. I don't see how the Dualogic can be considered to be "jerky" when the available alternative is a manual transmission & clutch. You only need to miss one or two gearchanges in a manual or stall the engine by accident to realise that the Dualogic is a smoother experience.

I used to drive a Mk2 Punto Sporting with CVT. Being a Japanese transmission, that had a torque converter. I suppose it was smooth and long-legged for highway cruising, but sometimes it seemed it would take an age to wind the engine up to its rather high torque peak (4000+ RPM), so most of the time the transmission felt quite out of step with the engine. The same criticism could be applied to the four speed electronic auto in my 166 - even with its 20 shift programmes, it usually gets it wrong - slogs the engine or hunts up and down. And with any torque converter auto, there's that nagging feeling that you're not getting maximum performance and economy.

I've been driving an Alfa 156 Selespeed for the last few years - Dualogic feels like a more refined and slightly less exuberant version (less clutch slip and throttle blipping on downchanges).

My observation is that drivers of Dualogic tend to at first release the accelerator during gearchanges. This isn't necessary - it's a matter of practice.

I usually avoid using Auto mode. There are actually four modes on my 1.4: normal Auto, normal Manual, Sport Auto, and Sport Manual. The last one is far more satisfying as the throttle is responsive and I don't have to wonder when it will change gear. Particularly in normal Auto mode, it 'plays' with the throttle to give a really smooth gearchange, but the resultant slack throttle response can seem disconcerting.

The great thing about Dualogic (or Selespeed CFC328, to give it its real name) is that it changes down just as I would when I slow down - not aggressively, but smoothly, and only selects 1st when just about stopped. Therefore, compared to driving a manual, it's at least half the work as I only ever pick when to change up. Compared to driving an auto, it's less frustrating - I have more control. Dualogic is perfect for my driving in towns and cities.

When I was a little boy, my father explained to me how an auto transmission worked - with its epicyclic gears and brake bands (approximated by one of those drill-mounted 'easy lap' speed reducers). I thought that was all very complicated and asked why on earth the gears of a standard gearbox couldn't be shifted automatically, along with the clutch being controlled automatically too. I guess this didn't become feasible until the electronically-controlled throttle arrived. Selespeed was introduced the year after my Dad passed away. I often wonder what he'd think of it.

As for engines, I rather like my 1.4 - smooth and gutsy and makes a nice little warble, but I think if I had the choice, I'd get the TwinAir - seems like a characterful engine. The 1.2 is probably smoother, probably just as economical, and if the 'character' of a car is not a main criteria in its selection, then the 1.2 will be the sensible choice. However, I think the resale value on a 500 TwinAir Dualogic would be pretty good.

-Alex

Last edited:
Thank you.
In my defence to others who have posted in favour of the Dualogic I did use the word subjective. I've driven a lot; 4, 5 & 6 speed, DSG, CVT, tiptronic etc at risk of being a bore....
Personally I think it's down there with the box fitted to the Smart car.
I wish it was better because I prefer automatics and a good one performs better than most drivers can in general driving.
The advantages of the Dualogic are simplicity, purchase cost and potential economy savings. If refined was on that list it would appear as an option on the prestige marques.
I wouldn't knock anyone for having it as it makes a lot of sense.

How long have you spent driving Dualogics?

How long have you spent driving Dualogics?

I can't answer on behalf of course, but I think the point being made might be that a DSG (dual clutch automated manual) gearbox available in German cars is easier to drive smoothly. That may be so, but Lamborghini (with access to German parts bins) has chosen a single-clutch transmission for the Aventador - "for more emotive shifting". That's good enough for me to ask whether dual-clutch transmissions might rob some of the driving feel...

-Alex

Back