Driving on the hard shoulder

Currently reading:
Driving on the hard shoulder

Ok. So you have a lorry travelling on the hard shoulder in rush hour should they lanuch it. If there is a clear gap it speeds upto say 55-60mph. Its going round a bend to the left that is part hidden only to find a car broken down on the hard shoulder. The lorry brakes hard to avoid the car and slips into the lane next to it causing an effect to any cars travelling next to it. Also certain parts of the hard shoulder are really narrow.

It just isnt going to work :confused: .

The only time when it is maybe acceptable in my eyes to drive on the hard shoulder is when they are working on the lanes to the right and you have to go through a contraflow system, but this is only for a few miles.

I just see so many reasons against it...dunno what the hell they are thinking of, why not just build extra lanes?

And I pray to god they don't start doing it on the m25 lol

As has been said...its there for broken down vehicles, which can be dangerous enough with people hitting stationary vehicles as it is!!! and also important emergency access.

And then there are gonna be the twonks that just get used to using it and start undertaking on the hard shoulder (n)

You can also have your say on this...seems like most people don't actually want it..thank god!!

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=3733&edition=1&ttl=20071025171859

Last edited:
works fine on the m42..driven down the hard shoulder there many times. i agree though..it is silly. when the motorway is at its busiest they close the lane that allows emergency service easy access, and the safest place for any vehicle to stop that might've broken. (which lets be honest, overheating in heavy traffic is most common cause?)

if they taught people to use motorways probably that'd create an extra lane.
just look at the tailback a lorry overtaking another one creates on a quiet motorway, especially if someone overtakes on the outside at 70 or less.

I agree,

ive lost count of the amount of times ive been stuck behind a lorry overtaking a lorry, going about 1mph faster, and then a car overtaking that lorry at 1mph. Winds me up.

And then to add insult to injury, once the lorry that was overtaking the other lorry has pulled in, the other lorry pulls out to overtake that one :mad:.

Also people that are infront of you that decide to overtake a lorry in the middle lane, who decide once they are past that lorry to slow up leaving you sat at the side of the lorry for ages. When i get stuck in that situation i just go for it and want to get past the lorry ASAP (y)

That and middle lane hoggers. Move the **** over!

and them bmw drivers that think they are allowed never to move out of the overtaking lane because they are doing 90 on an emptyish motorway, move the **** over an let the punto past :p

this driving in hard sholder is mad though, people already get killed on the hard sholder, this can only make it worse :bang:

:yeahthat: The hard shoulder in places can be so narrow meaing certain lorries might not be able to fot down it, and there can also be lots of debri on it as well.

Back