Driving in Europe

Currently reading:
Driving in Europe

The Trooper

Established member
Just wandering if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction regarding driving abroad.

I've never taken a car abroad before, but I'm going on a sort of euro trip in my campervan in 3 weeks time. I know that in some countries you need warning triangles, first aid kits and fluorescent jackets in the event of a breakdown (touch wood, lots of wood). Is there anywhere I can find out what I need and is there any other advice you can give before I set off.... and before anyone mentions it, yes I know they drive on the wrong side of the road (n) :rolleyes:

Countries currently lined up:

-Holland (Amsterdam :D )
-Germany
-Belgium
-France
-potentially Italy and/or Spain

The RAC and AA sites list everything you'll need (including breakdown cover but shop around for that)

If you've got a van then just take everything.. You'll have the space:D

(like 2 warning triangles, jackets for everyone in the van, complete bulb kits etc)

I usually just take some breakdown cover, some crap tool kit from woolworths and a mobile phone....:p

(then come on here and cry when it all goes horribly wrong!:D )

Jim

Yes, breakdown cover, thanks for reminding me! How much am I looking at for a weeks travel?Do you need 2 triangles by law, or is that just your preference? I already have one you see. I also wanted to take a mechanic with me, but can't fit him in the back :D

Oh yea, also, I've got a fluorescent vest thing I wear for going on building sites, it's that green/yellowt colour, would that be ok or are they fussy and make you wear orange :yuck: or anything?

:)in spain its 2 triangles -better to be seen if you do break down. also a spair pair of glasses if you wear them,again law in spain.dont forget a torch .if you get to poland DONT wear the jacket as only the police are allowed to.
good luck and happy travelling..
gina X

They are doing some spot checks on foreign cars on the way out of Calais and you can get fined £100 for not having certain items. Someone recently got fined for having a missing beam converter which had fallen off during the trip.

don't forget the little light deflector things. also in certain countries i think you need a florecent jacket per person in the car.

cazz said:
don't forget the little light deflector things. also in certain countries i think you need a florecent jacket per person in the car.

By light deflectors you mean those stick on things on the headlamps that make the beam shine the other way?

I'm getting the ferry over to Hook in Holland so hopefully won't be any checks (too much hassle), but I should be ok anyway as I going to take everything that's required.

Make sure that your insurance covers you abroad. In some countries you need a Green Card as proof of insurance.
Don't forget to go round roundabouts the "wrong" way! Takes some getting used to...
H

hmallett said:
Make sure that your insurance covers you abroad. In some countries you need a Green Card as proof of insurance.
Don't forget to go round roundabouts the "wrong" way! Takes some getting used to...
H

Well my insurance company (Adrian Flux) said I'm insured for abroad but need to notify them before I go. Do you think they will issue me with a Green Card?

Yea the roundabouts are dodgy, in some countries you have to give way to people coming ON to the roundabout :confused:

H2DaE said:
You drive a diesel - relax ;)

Yes I do, but that's staying at home. I'm going in my 25 year old camper van, which is a 2.0 air cooled petrol. although to be fiar they're well built motors (well the engines are, the body works questionable :bang: ).

What is a bail bond exaclty? I take it it's some kind of money you need? And how much? So much to consider, all want to do it..... drive :cry: ! lol

Last edited:
If you will be driving in France, pick up a copy of Auto Plus at the first newsagent you come to in France. This comes out each Tuesday and has detailed maps aof all the fixed radars in France. It is well worth the 1 euro and 70 cents...

raton_laveur said:
If you will be driving in France, pick up a copy of Auto Plus at the first newsagent you come to in France. This comes out each Tuesday and has detailed maps aof all the fixed radars in France. It is well worth the 1 euro and 70 cents...

Thanks for the advice, I'll bear it in mind when I take my car over, but seeing as I usually stick from 50mph - 60 max. (it's not very fast) I doubt I'll need it!

Back