Technical Driveshaft woes!

Currently reading:
Technical Driveshaft woes!

Ok, so, having just had a clutch and DMF done for just over £800 I now have a driveshaft gone.
Nearside, passengers driveshaft has popped it's clogs, after an argument with a LARGE pothole, on a country lane.
So, garage reckon they are unable to source a part??
Gone on EPER and found the part number 46538020 is LH. So looked on Google for this part number, and get a fair few items that cross reference to this part number, all specify they fit Fiat Multipla 1.9JTD 115BHP and when I send them my Reg, and VIN, they say it will fit.
Now, on their say so, I purchased a this from EU spares.

Drive Shaft Front Axle Left, 480mm POINT GEAR PNG72169

Garage went to fit it, 50mm too short... despite the item being listed as OEM compatible with 46538020.

Returned it for a refund, and tried another supplier Maxgear and they supplied

MAXGEAR 49-1671 DRIVE SHAFT FRONT AXLE LEFT FOR FIAT

This was also 50mm too short, despite again being listed as OEM compatible.
Returned this one too, and they asked for a picture of the original with measurements, as they state that it should be compatible, and that's the only LH driveshaft manufactured for my car..

Garage then showed me the original one they removed, and its 530mm, so obviously, the 'OEM replacements' at 480 won't fit?? Nobody has a 530mm driveshaft for Fiat Multipla??

Bought a s/h one off of an e-bay breaker, came from a 56 plate 1.9 JTD, which he claimed was compatible when given my VIN & reg.
When it arrived, it was the correct length, BUT.. had a different gearbox mounting that would not fit my model!!

So, currently, multi is off the road, and it appears I cannot source the correct part anywhere, as every company swears that the 480 one is the OEM par length, but mine is 530!!

Anyone come across this?? Looks like I am going to have to scrap the multi, after spending £800+ a few months ago. Am now at my wits end.. 😭
Have added piccies of the two shafts, first one is the 'new replacement' (top) and original shaft, side by side with steel rule between them, second is close up of the difference between them...

Attachments

• IMG_20230913_121130_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230913_121130_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20230913_121136_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230913_121136_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 50
Ok, so, having just had a clutch and DMF done for just over £800 I now have a driveshaft gone.
Nearside, passengers driveshaft has popped it's clogs, after an argument with a LARGE pothole, on a country lane.
So, garage reckon they are unable to source a part??
Gone on EPER and found the part number 46538020 is LH. So looked on Google for this part number, and get a fair few items that cross reference to this part number, all specify they fit Fiat Multipla 1.9JTD 115BHP and when I send them my Reg, and VIN, they say it will fit.
Now, on their say so, I purchased a this from EU spares.

Drive Shaft Front Axle Left, 480mm POINT GEAR PNG72169

Garage went to fit it, 50mm too short... despite the item being listed as OEM compatible with 46538020.

Returned it for a refund, and tried another supplier Maxgear and they supplied

MAXGEAR 49-1671 DRIVE SHAFT FRONT AXLE LEFT FOR FIAT

This was also 50mm too short, despite again being listed as OEM compatible.
Returned this one too, and they asked for a picture of the original with measurements, as they state that it should be compatible, and that's the only LH driveshaft manufactured for my car..

Garage then showed me the original one they removed, and its 530mm, so obviously, the 'OEM replacements' at 480 won't fit?? Nobody has a 530mm driveshaft for Fiat Multipla??

Bought a s/h one off of an e-bay breaker, came from a 56 plate 1.9 JTD, which he claimed was compatible when given my VIN & reg.
When it arrived, it was the correct length, BUT.. had a different gearbox mounting that would not fit my model!!

So, currently, multi is off the road, and it appears I cannot source the correct part anywhere, as every company swears that the 480 one is the OEM par length, but mine is 530!!

Anyone come across this?? Looks like I am going to have to scrap the multi, after spending £800+ a few months ago. Am now at my wits end.. 😭
Have added piccies of the two shafts, first one is the 'new replacement' (top) and original shaft, side by side with steel rule between them, second is close up of the difference between them...

How frustrating 😕

So.. Are the ends not interchangeable🤔

Is the original Bent?

Hi all,

That is perplexing.

What has broken on original driveshaft?

Cheers
Jack

The skf catalogue shows length 480mm but that could be compressed length.

I note there are shafts witj different inner joint options ,my multi inner joints look different to yours.
The skf catalogue gives the same pcd measurement for both types of inner joint mounting holes so perhaps the shafts are interchangeable- even though they look very different......possible garage looked and thought looks completely different we won't try.

I will see if can look at mine tomorrow and photo but v busy.

Cheers
Jack

Last edited:
How frustrating 😕

So.. Are the ends not interchangeable🤔

Is the original Bent?
apparently, the shaft joints are u/s both the inner and outer. ( we did have a bit of a noise from it before the pothole job) garage had a PITA job getting it out to, apparently, looks well 'knackered' looking at the innards of the gearbox joint!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The skf catalogue shows length 480mm but that could be compressed length.

I note there are different inner joint options ,my multi inner joints look different to yours.
The skf catalogue gives the same pcd measurement for both types of inner joint mounting holes so perhaps they are interchangeable- even though they look very different......possible garage looked and thought looks completely different we won't try.

I will see if can look at mine tomorrow and photo but v busy.

Cheers
Jack
re the inner joints, yeah, found this out when I bought the one from e-bay, from a '56 plate 1.9JTD, which the seller said was compatible with my VIN, but, as mentioned it was the correct length, but the inner joint is different, and garage reckon that it wasn't compatible.
Will look again tomorrow, and try to get some pics of the two parts and better look at the pcd and joint flanges.

Looking at photo, I can work something out.
The old one has a "lump" in the middle, my mk1 has that on too.

I will check the mk2 in the morning.

What happened to drive shaft to make it fail ?

I think your pictured drive shafts inner joints are the tripod type, the other type are the "proper" cv ball type
They should interchange.

Looking at photo, I can work something out.
The old one has a "lump" in the middle, my mk1 has that on too.

I will check the mk2 in the morning.

What happened to drive shaft to make it fail ?
As mentioned in original post, went over a humungous pothole, in a dark unlit country lane, (driveshaft was already a bit 'crunchy/grindy at times, so knew it was on it's last legs, and was hoping to get it changed when the clutch/dmf was done, as no extra labour, as driveshaft has to come out to get gearbox off, so garage just said price of shaft was the only extra cost.

If you have both types of inner joint put them back to back and see if bolt holes align.

Sorry I was unclear above and have edited, a tripod inner joint shaft should interchange with a ball cv inner joint shaft.
Don't despair we are with you.
J
Hi Jack,
Not despairing quite yet, but pulling my hair out trying to sort out the conundrum!!
Fiat's eh, who'd have them!! :rolleyes:.
Refuse to scrap a perfectly good car because Fiat decide to muck about with the parts bin..
Think my 55 plate 'nosejob' is a bit of a mongrel, (registered September 2005) as seen 55 plate 'roundnoses' as well, so assume that Fiat used the last of the parts from the old ones for the new multi, and mine has bits of both!! Sheesh!!
Garage I use is usually very good but will suggest he actually 'tries' the part if the holes etc line up.. (and mention that this forum seems to think they are interchangeable too! ;) )

Quick update,
Pics below show the 2 driveshafts. first pic shows that they are identical lengths, and just the gearbox coupling is different.
(Bottom shaft is the original one, top is the replacement from the dismantler)
second pic is of the gearbox couplers backed together, with 8mm studs/bolts through the holes. They are identical, as is the distance from the flange to the centre of the cover.
Have politely suggested to the garage they try fitting the shaft, as we are certain it will fit. Waiting to see if they will. :unsure:

Attachments

• IMG_20230917_104557_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230917_104557_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230917_104348_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230917_104348_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
Back