General drive shaft replacement

Currently reading:
General drive shaft replacement

oscar52

Old punto has gone to scrap, and am currently looking at a replacement.

It has 11.5 months MOT, so a good start ... it does say on the add that there is a clicking / knocking when turning right and suspect the CV is on its way out.

I know CVs are fairly cheap (35 quid on fleabay) - as is the car really .... but how easy are they to replace? The Haynes manual states you have to release the track rod end .... is this really necessary or can the CV be removed by unbolting the hub from the strut and "wiggling" it out ......... I know this was how I done it on my old clio, but not sure if the same is possible with the punto.

Also, if its knocking when turning right, I assume it is the offside CV that has gone?

Old punto has gone to scrap, and am currently looking at a replacement.

It has 11.5 months MOT, so a good start ... it does say on the add that there is a clicking / knocking when turning right and suspect the CV is on its way out.

I know CVs are fairly cheap (35 quid on fleabay) - as is the car really .... but how easy are they to replace? The Haynes manual states you have to release the track rod end .... is this really necessary or can the CV be removed by unbolting the hub from the strut and "wiggling" it out ......... I know this was how I done it on my old clio, but not sure if the same is possible with the punto.

Also, if its knocking when turning right, I assume it is the offside CV that has gone?

its Very very very rare for punto's to kill the inner CV's (gearbox tripods)
infact i dont think i've heard them been dead....

As for the CV's

hub nut
Car up
Wheels off
you may find it easier todo track rod espically since the Swivel hub bolts are terrible! for rotting into place and been a pigs ear the get free....

Wiggle shaft out - Old boot cut off - Wack CV (spring clip holding it on)
Clean everything up
REfit new boot and CV + Grease
Wack back together

Ziggy

So just replace the CV rather then entire shaft??

Suppose that would save on costs! and could do them both to be sure then!

One last check ...... one I am looking at is an ELX (8V) - I am right in thinking that's the old Active model? - comes up as an active when I do an insurance check anyway.

So just replace the CV rather then entire shaft??

Suppose that would save on costs! and could do them both to be sure then!

One last check ...... one I am looking at is an ELX (8V) - I am right in thinking that's the old Active model? - comes up as an active when I do an insurance check anyway.

You could stick a whole refurb shaft in
You can stick a 2nd hand shaft in
You could just do the outer CV

personally if it was me - leave the drive cups WELL alone in the gearbox, and just wack the cv off :)

Also ELX is actually a Model Trim Level
Active was very low down in the spec range tbh...
See here
The mk2 1999 - 2003

Ziggy

Back