Technical Draining problem

Currently reading:
Technical Draining problem

Ive been thinking about this problem i have with my punto where sometimes it doesnt start, but if i jump start it or charge the battery it will work fine for about a week or so then no start.

At first i thought it was a 3rd party alarm system but it happened whilst that was unplugged,
Then i thought i was the heater switch because that has broke, but i have taken the resistor out and had same problem,

I have just had a thought, when i drive sometimes the steering light flashes on for like a split second, as if there isnt enough voltage getting to it,
Could this be what is draining my battery when trying to start my car?
Ive checked all the earths and stuff and they all seem fine, need to get to the bottom of this, been happening for past 6 months and i cant seem to find and answer to it :(

If the steering light flashes/stays on while driving this as mentioned before could be a failing battery,how old is it? also make sure if you have a aftermarket stereo fitted it is switched off.

Disconnect the battery earth overnight and when its parked for any time. If the problem persists its probably a worn out battery. Get the generator tested before you buy the battery just in case that's the problem. A proper battery test will use a big resistor affair. The solid state things tell you the remaining charge but they dont easily tell you how much capacity the battery still has. It could be showing 80% of **** all.

Buy a good quality battery and everything will be nice again.

Last edited:
i have just recently bought a new battery, well it was a battery someone bought ran it flat and was charged up, (bigger battery than normal also cheap :LOL:)
I have checked voltage on the battery when charging and from the alternator its coming out at 14.01 and the same at the battery,

It started doing it, a couple of weeks after i have fitted a new cambelt, water pump, anything there stop it from working ?

Back