Technical DPF regen required?

Currently reading:
Technical DPF regen required?

2bakedbeans

Hi, our Croma MkII 1.9 16v has today displayed the Anti-particulate warning light. I've read various posts about this already, but just checking – will driving hard for 30mins do a regen OK? I read that having the instant fuel cons display on will guide if something is going on or not.

It's unfortunate to happen now as the car is booked to go for an annual service etc on 5th September before driving it from Italy to UK for a couple of months, so would like to avoid taking it in sooner if possible (not to mention expense). Plus all of Italy is now on holiday due to Ferrogosto and garages close!
Any advice before trying the high speed burn welcome. Thanks.

Hi
There are a few factors controlling DPF regenerations

Temperature of Motor
Speed : revolutions of motor

Oil Quality

Plugging in to the vehicles OBD port should discover what the vehicle .. 'thinks' needs attention..

Some programs can do this from a Laptop..or smartphone

One question..
Has the vehicle been performing its own DPF Regenerations...??
Running cooling fan..etc?

Hi
There are a few factors controlling DPF regenerations

Temperature of Motor
Speed : revolutions of motor

Oil Quality

Plugging in to the vehicles OBD port should discover what the vehicle .. 'thinks' needs attention..

Some programs can do this from a Laptop..or smartphone

One question..
Has the vehicle been performing its own DPF Regenerations...??
Running cooling fan..etc?
Hi, thanks for reply. It certainly has done several shortish trips of around 10 miles or so but quite a few on longer autostrada distances to, however, the speed has been kept down below the 130kph limit here as fuel prices rocketed. The car did do a 500km round trip on the autostrada end of June and horses were not particularly spared then, thinking it would do some good in having a 'clearout'.
Oil quality is perhaps now overdue, and as mentioned before it is booked for an annual service 5 Sept. Due to Covid last year the car did very few kms.
I don't have any gadgets for the OBD, so leave that to garage.
Has the car been doing it's own regens? Couldn't tell you I'm afraid, as its been running fine until now.
Next time I go out I'll take it for a longer harder run with the instantaneous fuel cons. on and see what happens. I 'll message back here with a result or not! By the way the car has now done 257,300kms or 160,812mls since new in May 2008, which I don't regard as extraordinary by any means. Coming to UK and back soon will add another 5-6k.

If the light has only just come on, a good longer steady speed run should trigger a regen. If the light has been on too long, without attention, the car may refuse to do its own regen, and will need a manual regen. The Fiat dealer diagnostic tool does this, as does MultiECUscan. Other diagnostic tools may work, it will depend on their relationship with Fiat.

A friend had one go into limp mode. We triggered the manual regen outside his home. Engine ran with raised revs for about 10 minutes, exhaust pointing downwards melted the tar road. Got a puddle about 15cm across. It set again as it cooled, with added soot.

If the light has only just come on, a good longer steady speed run should trigger a regen. If the light has been on too long, without attention, the car may refuse to do its own regen, and will need a manual regen. The Fiat dealer diagnostic tool does this, as does MultiECUscan. Other diagnostic tools may work, it will depend on their relationship with Fiat.

A friend had one go into limp mode. We triggered the manual regen outside his home. Engine ran with raised revs for about 10 minutes, exhaust pointing downwards melted the tar road. Got a puddle about 15cm across. It set again as it cooled, with added soot.
Today I took the Croma for fast drive down a superstrada then autostrada at 130kph(+) for about 90kms return in total. I had the instantaneous fuel consumption switched on to see if any increase in consumption was made. No change, the car was still doing 14-17km per litre even with A/C on.
The strange thing was that the DPF warning light did not come on when starting the engine. The car had not been used since Friday 12 August. Faulty sensor perhaps?
A lot of Italians suggest removing the DPF, but this is illegal isn't it? Is it not inspected at MOT time?

By the way, how do you trigger a manual regen. I saw a YT vid saying you put both foot on brake and accelerator then ignition on. Is that how?
Thanks

Last edited:
By the way, how do you trigger a manual regen. I saw a YT vid saying you put both foot on brake and accelerator then ignition on. Is that how?
Thanks
DPF removal is illegal in the UK. And I think it is an EU mandate too.

I've seen a manual regen triggered on an older Doblo using the two-pedal method, and I think on a Qubo, so could be a standard thing.

Get engine to normal temp.
Switch off.
Ensure gear in Neutral.
Hold Accelerator and Clutch fully down.
Start engine.
If this method works, engine should start normally, ignoring the max accelerator. Release both pedals, adn wait. If method is triggered, engine revs will gently rise to a stable level, then hold for several minutes, while DPF light flashes.
Wait.
When done, engine revs will gently drop to normal, and DPF light goes off.

If when you start the engine, it revs to max, release the accelerator and be prepared to switch off.

The above is as I remember the process, adn it is from several years ago. This is at your own risk.

On my Bravo, the car would apparently do its thing when driven over 4500 rpm for 10 miles. It required a run in 4th gear to achieve this. In 100,000 miles I never saw it do a regen on its own. I needed MES to do a 'manual' regen. You just tell it to do it and press enter. It holds the revs at 4500 for about 7 minutes allows a cool off and then does it again. The exhaust temperature was rises to 850C according to MES. Apparently the warning light should show if it was doing a regen in normal use. I asked my dealer to check if my car was in fact doing regens itsself and the full Fiat diagnostic confirmed it was. (last one 90 miles beforehand) I needed to use EGR cleaner to put the car right at 40,000 miles. It then ran fine until 80,000 miles. It went into limp home mode again and I had the EGR changed at the dealers for less than the cost of a cheap pattern part from eBay! Check before straying! I'm sure teh car would run better without its EGR but it will fail its MOT if detected and its not easy to detect when its missing. I recommend using diesel fuel treatments periodically to keep teh EGR valve clean. It worked for me. If you drive in a civilised manner you probably never open the car up enough to clean the soot from the exhaust. A good Italian service in the lower gears is probably also a good measure every month or so to keep it running well.

If you do use EGR cleaner its VITAL to spray in short bursts about half a second at a time ot it may wreck the engine. It causes a sort of lockup and dead stop stall!!! Check U Tube.

On my Bravo, the car would apparently do its thing when driven over 4500 rpm for 10 miles. It required a run in 4th gear to achieve this. In 100,000 miles I never saw it do a regen on its own. I needed MES to do a 'manual' regen. You just tell it to do it and press enter. It holds the revs at 4500 for about 7 minutes allows a cool off and then does it again. The exhaust temperature was rises to 850C according to MES. Apparently the warning light should show if it was doing a regen in normal use. I asked my dealer to check if my car was in fact doing regens itsself and the full Fiat diagnostic confirmed it was. (last one 90 miles beforehand) I needed to use EGR cleaner to put the car right at 40,000 miles. It then ran fine until 80,000 miles. It went into limp home mode again and I had the EGR changed at the dealers for less than the cost of a cheap pattern part from eBay! Check before straying! I'm sure teh car would run better without its EGR but it will fail its MOT if detected and its not easy to detect when its missing. I recommend using diesel fuel treatments periodically to keep teh EGR valve clean. It worked for me. If you drive in a civilised manner you probably never open the car up enough to clean the soot from the exhaust. A good Italian service in the lower gears is probably also a good measure every month or so to keep it running well.

If you do use EGR cleaner its VITAL to spray in short bursts about half a second at a time ot it may wreck the engine. It causes a sort of lockup and dead stop stall!!! Check U Tube.
Many thanks for your replies. Car seems to be running fine without any intervention by me, however, it's still booked in for September 5th at an Italian Bosch Centre (the guy used to work for FIAT) but they are so much more common out here of course! So will hold off doing anything more until then. However, there is another issue nagging away for ages and that is a driveshaft bearing needing replacing. I guess with the car being 15yrs old wear items will become more often. Shame as it's a very underrated car.

It was good enough for Michael Schumacher, that speaks volumes.
Well today on the local superstrada doing about 95km the amber engine light came on. Pulled over, flicked through the Italian and UK handbook rather quickly but couldn't find anything. Message said Check. Tried to drive on but was I presume in Limp mode, 30km was max speed. Managed to get off and return to local town and FIAT dealer. Surprisingly helpful guy plugged his laptop in and it said something to do with pressure/common rail etc. He said when was the last time the fuel filter replaced. I just looked at it was March 2019, 40,833kms ago (25.000mls) He cleared the error took it for a drive with me and all was fine.
Now then, it is still booked for its annual service and MOT on 5 Sept., and will mention all this to them. But is this related to the DPF?
Also while searching on here, getting a Multiecuscan could be useful. I don't have Windows as I use a Mac, but do have an Anroid phone. There are many Apps and OBDs out there, with various warnings not to buy too cheap or fake Chinese ones. Can I ask who can recommend an Android app and OBD that will work and waste money please?

Well today on the local superstrada doing about 95km the amber engine light came on. Pulled over, flicked through the Italian and UK handbook rather quickly but couldn't find anything. Message said Check. Tried to drive on but was I presume in Limp mode, 30km was max speed. Managed to get off and return to local town and FIAT dealer. Surprisingly helpful guy plugged his laptop in and it said something to do with pressure/common rail etc. He said when was the last time the fuel filter replaced. I just looked at it was March 2019, 40,833kms ago (25.000mls) He cleared the error took it for a drive with me and all was fine.
Now then, it is still booked for its annual service and MOT on 5 Sept., and will mention all this to them. But is this related to the DPF?
Also while searching on here, getting a Multiecuscan could be useful. I don't have Windows as I use a Mac, but do have an Anroid phone. There are many Apps and OBDs out there, with various warnings not to buy too cheap or fake Chinese ones. Can I ask who can recommend an Android app and OBD that will work and waste money please?
PS, yes Pamda Nut, i saw the Top Gear prog. with Schumacher saying he drove a Croma to cries of derision. Poor souls!

Back