Technical DPF, and engine stalls when starting

Currently reading:
Technical DPF, and engine stalls when starting

Dan19860

I converted a 2014 ducato 2.3 150 multijet from a fridge van to a basic camper. Its got 160,000 miles on the clock.

While driving the engine light came on. The van then lacked power (but not limp mode), and starting the van from cold wont hold revs and stalls out immediately. The way round this is to rev the engine for 5 minutes until it does hold revs and will idle normally.

The garage blamed a glow plug issue, and changed them, they said this prevented DPF cleaning cycle, and then force cleaned DPF. This was expensive due to access to glow plugs.

After this, while driving, the van periodically spat out white smoke, and would jolt. This apparently was the DPF finishing off its cleaning cycle according to the garage.

200 (roughly) miles later, engine light back on, lack of power, and wont start without revving engine, again. Exactly same problem.

We couldn't get back to the garage so had to keep driving with this problem. I tried an off shelf DPF cleaner, that didn't work. I then used a Bardahl cleaner for DPF, injectors, maf, egr etc. that did actually work. It force cleaned DPF while driving (white smoke, periodic jolt) and magically engine light went off and all problems solved!

200 miles later the exact same problem returns. Naturally tried the same engine cleaner again but this time with no luck (I tried it twice in the end). The problem was back to stay.

We then took it into a different garage. They blamed the previous garage for only changing 3 glow plugs and leaving one old one one that was old broken and stuck. They had to remove the head and send it to a third party to remove this glow plug. Once all glow plugs changed they also cleaned DPF. This came at great expense, again!

We paid the money because the garage were convincing (and probably correct in there logic?). I don't know, being that I'm not a mechanic.

200 miles later, the problem is back, exactly the same symptoms.

We drive back to the garage. Diagnostics is now saying the injectors are the problem. Injectors all get tested and results say one completely blocked and other 3 bad. All four injectors get changed with reconditioned ones.

200 miles or so later and the problem is now back, exactly the same.

So far glow plugs changed twice, injectors changed, DPF cleaned multiple times, egr valve checked. Engine light currently on, lacks power, and does not start without revving engine.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back