Technical “Downgrading” to Pop steel wheels possible?

Currently reading:
Technical “Downgrading” to Pop steel wheels possible?

My last 2 cars have had electric parking brakes and I haven't had any issues with them. They give a bit more centre console space and allow my wife to fully apply the parking brake with her arthritic hand.
However, in general I agree with Samuel's rant. They address a problem that didn't really exist, and replace a relatively simple mechanism with a more complex electro-mechanical device in an area that is subjected to lots of dirt and moisture.
Sorry about the drift off topic.

I’m interested in the new Fiat 500 Hybrid but the trim levels aren’t perfect for me.

What I want:

1. manual twist-dial HVAC controls
  2. air conditioning
  3. pollen filter
  4. 65 aspect-ratio tyres (were 14-inch alloys ever available? They aren’t now)
  5. preferably steel wheels
  6. a way to show navigation on the display and play music from an iPhone. Do I need CarPlay for this? Pop trim doesn’t have that but has a 5-inch screen. What’s the screen for if not navigation from a smartphone?
  7. ideally cruise control.

In France where I live, the base Pop trim has air conditioning. Great. And cruise control is an option. But does it have a pollen filter and can I navigate from my phone?

Lounge spec adds CarPlay and cruise control. Great. But also things I don’t care about: body-coloured mirrors, height-adjustable driver seat (not really, it just tilts), and a 7-inch display (I’ve never wished for my Garmin’s 3.5-inch display to be bigger).

But Lounge also adds 15-inch alloys with 55-height tyres: less comfortable, noisier, greater risk of pothole damage, harder on suspension components, slightly higher fuel consumption, more expensive to replace. Hmm.

So what about getting a Lounge car and having the dealer swap on 14-inch steel wheels from a Pop? Since most buyers prefer alloys and low-profile tyres, the dealer might be happy to do that. But is it officially okay from a technical perspective? The suspension isn’t tuned for the wheels the car comes with?

Thanks!

Yes, but you have to make sure it clears your brakes. I would advice getting the 15” ones from the USA instead of the 14” EU ones to be sure they will clear the brakes.

Back