Technical Door handle issues

Currently reading:
Technical Door handle issues

Moofish

Hi, I fitted a new door handle to my girlfriends 500 last week, it was a cheap ebay jobby I don't believe its oem. After fitting and reassembling the door it became apparent that it didn't work from the outside once the car was fully locked and unlocked on the fob but worked when the door had been already opened from the outside. So today I've taken the door cards off again and oiled the catch and the handle and I now have it working from the outside but only when I've pulled that handle twice. What am I doing wrong this is driving me crazy? has anyone else had this problem? thanks

It was the passenger side door handle and the car came without a handle. It was only bought 2 weeks ago. The install seemed to go pretty smooth. It’s just annoying that it doesn’t work properly. I had wonders whether they had updated the part for the 500 and if I’d bought one meant for a newer model.

My son replaced his girlfriend’s door handle on her 500, he had a similar problem if I recall, I took a look and found he had clipped the two rods the wrong way round, so swapped over and worked all ok not sure if that could be the same issue ?

Last edited:
It's possible that you've inserted the rods on the lock from the wrong side or the rods are on the wrong way round. It's also possible that you've done the nut up too tight on the hinge (the 10mm one) that often causes the handle to stick out a bit too and not return flush.

It's most likely a rod issue I think.

Thanks for all your help. I’ve just checked the rods and they seem to be in the correct position and the correct way round. I’ll check the 10mm nut I did do it up quite tight so hopefully that may solve the problem of having to pull the handle twice. But low and behold I’ve also now noticed that the door doesn’t seem to lock at all it still takes two pulls of the handle but will open even when the central locking is engaged.

I think when I looked at the rods my first thought was they look ok but swapped over and it solved our problem. If you have the panel off worth a try .

Back