General Don't suppose

Currently reading:
General Don't suppose

John Lawley

anyone has a spare horn lying around they want to get rid of? mine desided it didn't like being in the engine bay anymore after i went over a speed bump today (don't ask what speed you don't want to know ;) ) panda suspension is nice and soft riding isn't it :D

thanks from john

I must have somewhere as ours have air horns. I'll have a look.

Incidently, why was your horn in the engine compartment ? and whereabouts ? :confused:

in my oppinion a horn is a horn so....
are you bothered what car its from. if not im sure i can sort you out.

there's a main bearing on ebay from a fiat 127 that comes with a horn... but it's not just a normal one.. oh no, it has the Abarth logo on it... which looks fantastic behind the bumper...

it was on the frotn left just behind the headlight, then it was on the floor then under a land rover dicso (bit ****ed now then....)

thanks from john

i think my horn has gone the same way as yours, as i pressed the steering wheel centre, and nothing has happened (any help please). i havent got the money to get a new one, and i dont want to put on the dixie horn that i bought at the birmingham classic car show 2004.

christopher watson said:
i think my horn has gone the same way as yours, as i pressed the steering wheel centre, and nothing has happened (any help please).
The most common failure is the horn, which is behind the bumper.
UK passenger side.

To get at it you have to remove the wheel arch liner (3 or 4 self tapping screws), then unbolt the bumper bracket and side support on that side only.
Being fuel injected you'll also have the carbon filter in the way down there, tangled up with the bumper bracket mounting nuts.

Basic operation is volts to the horn, and earthing via the steering wheel push button, so you need one with two connectors from the scrapyard.
But before you go there -

When you get access to the horn you can find out if the problem is the horn, or a wiring issue, by checking the voltage on the black lead when the push is pressed - there should be a voltage until you try to operate the horn.

There can be some issues with the earthing from the horn:
There is a a brass ring under back of the steering wheel which provides continuity regardless of wheel position, it wears out.
Also there is an earth through the body of the steering lock/ ignition switch area somewhere, which also becomes intermittant. It will commonly work "straight ahead", but not with some lock on.

The two wires at the horn unplug (when you can get at it) and will pull back below the headlight so the connectors are always accessible.

One is grey/black the other voilet.

The violet one is +12 straight from fuse 3.

The grey/black finds an earth via the horn push etc., as mentioned above.

well i have tried to get to the horn, but the bumper bolts are rusted on, and the wheel arch liners wont come off, but strangely the horn has started working again, so everything is ok now :)

I wouldn't bank on the horn working again for long.

Mine has gone intermittant in the last couple of days (4th horn between three Pandas in 2 years) so I've got some work this weekend to fit the new air-horns.

P.S.

you don't need take both liners out, just the passenger one ( I think it's 4 x 6mm hex headed self tappers, which clean up best with a wire brush before starting) you can then get at the bumper mounting nuts - a single one for the side mounting, and the awkward pair behind the carbon filter.

If it's too much of a challenge you could be brutal and pull back from behind the passenger headlight (you might end up damaging things, and you need to be certain what you're pulling :) which can be difficult, as the wires are enclosed in a sleeve where they emerge from the loom.), but whichever way, be aware there is +12 volts on the purple wire.

Last edited:
Back