Punto (Mk2/2b) Don't own one yet but thinking about it....

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Don't own one yet but thinking about it....

BP1974

Hi All,

I don't actually own a FIAT yet but I've found with other makes of car that forums like this one are invaluable !

I'm looking for a cheap second (automatic) car and a 2002 Punto 1.2 Dynamic Speedgear has caught my eye, it's done about 50K and looks to be in pretty good condition.

Anything that I need to look out for in particular ? Other than the usual old car related stuff of course.

Thanks in advance !

Check the mot history online and make sure the mileage is genuine.

Check under the car and decide how much rust you can live with, because there will be a lot or too much.

Given that it’s over 20 years old now, rust is likely to be an issue, make sure you give it a good inspection. These cars are so cheap now that any rust can effect my be worth more than the car to repair come MOT time

Also I’d be very cautious of fiats with auto gear boxes, @varesecrazy would be more able to tell you more about this than me. I can’t remember if the Speedgear is one of the problem gearboxes

Given that it’s over 20 years old now, rust is likely to be an issue, make sure you give it a good inspection. These cars are so cheap now that any rust can effect my be worth more than the car to repair come MOT time

Also I’d be very cautious of fiats with auto gear boxes, @varesecrazy here would be more able to tell you more about this than me. I can’t remember if the Speedgear is one of the problem gearboxes
When it comes to Fiat automatic transmissions, they can be quite problematic. Some models, such as the Selespeed, have a reputation for being unreliable and expensive to repair

Back